Sunday, October 05, 2008



Hi, I am a newbie, and this was my first Fast Friday. I have been looking at all the beautiful art in Challenge 25 and I feel privileged to be part of such a talented group.
My first piece is titled Garden I. The background was a UFO that I was inspired to modify and finish since red/green and diagonal lines could be used. I thought the red/green colors were meant to be the prominent colors, but I see by the comments and art displayed, that some interpreted this to mean they were to be the only colors.
This was my first experiment with making flowers with polyester organza which I painted and then melted the edges. I also used pinking-shears on used "color-catcher" sheets for some petals, and put old buttons in the centers. The bees were hand felted. The piece is 16 x 20. I plan to add vine quilting in the border (other ideas?). The background piece was quilted vertically before adding the diagonal trellis pieces.
I welcome any and all comments. Since this is my first try at this, I really would like to know if I am on the right track. Linda M

7 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This quilt is terrific Linda! The woven trellis background is wonderful...I LOVE your bees, and all the different techniques you have used. Right up my alley! You nailed it :)
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Well done, your ufo was well used

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Linda, You are definitely on the right track...this is a lovely piece...very English garden! Love the colors you used, too. The peachy color adds interest and variety. No matter about sticking strictly to the complementary color scheme...that's really a just starting point. Your piece still reads as red and green though. The part I like the most are the leaves and vines. They are very lively. The flowers are a bit uniform and round and lined up. Would they be more interesting/random with some judicious petal trimming? The flower colors are lovely though.
Good job! Glad you're here!
Cynthia

Carole said...

That woven background is very effective... maybe should say lattice. And held together with tiny beads. Very elegant touch.
Your leaves are interesting... I keep going back to look at them..
It is a 'soft' piece to view, while your vertical quilting gives it strength.
Well done!
Carole

janice pd said...

What a nice piece! I love all the detail you put into it. I don't know that you need to add anything into the border, it just depends on the finished look you are after.
Janice

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Linda - I thought your piece was most attractive. Then I enlarged it and saw all the detail in the flowers and leaves as well as the honeybees. The different fabrics you used to create the woven lattice really worked out well. Very nice work.

You are off to a great start with your first challenge!

anna k. said...

Linda,
this is a great piece. There is so much great detail within...the bees, the flowers, the leaves....stunning.
You certainly are on the right track