Thursday, October 30, 2008

Inuksuk through a window


This month, we are looking at Innunguaq through another inuksuk that forms a window, called a niungvaliruluit, which frames an object or a place in the distance.

So, I pulled the fabrics from my gray piles, and the sky just had a hint of blue-green compared to all the other colors, but it turned out to be quite colorful next to the grays, as was the grassy fabric. Not quite monochromatic, as it turns out. But even though it isn't all gray, I was having so much fun making it that I couldn't get rid of the "pretty" fabrics. Wish I had more of the mottled stuff - it looks like rocks covered with lichens, which ar about the only plants that grow that far north.

This was really fun for me, and I found myself working quite a bit bigger and bolder than usual. This quilt is about 18" x22." Thanks for a great challenge!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie, I don't think the tiny bits of color really show up enough to detract from the monochromatic theme at all. The perspective is very good, and I really like looking through the first inuksuk to see the other one.
Nice job!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I second Cathy's comments...I'm really enjoying your series - a subject that before this I was not familiar with. I like how this piece has a sense of strength, but is not static with your use of lines slightly off horizontal. Very interesting and well done!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Katie, great composition! You certainly achieved perspective.I love it!

janice pd said...

Hi Katie, I like this piece and the way you framed the figure in the background. Can't wait to see more.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

It's so much fun sharing the adventures of your Innunguaq! I love that you used gray...so like the far North. Good work!
Cherie

anna k. said...

I'm enjoying your series Katie.
The greys certainly express the mood of the coldness up north!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Katie - I too am enjoying your series as well as learning about the inuksuk. I saw one in a magazine recently and enjoyed it so much more because I had a little knowledge.

Your work came out really well - you were successful in your use of one color and in accomplishing perspective. I started to think it might have been better without so much symmetry but I actually think it adds strength to the piece. Great!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Katie, I love this series of yours! Your work is getting better and better all the time. How do you like working in a series? It seems to be working for you.
Good job on the perspective on the piece...the fainter colors in the background is very effective . The off kilter look to the stone piles is interesting and lively (as lively as stones get!) Did you consider angling the view through the window so the inuksuk wasn't centered in the middle of the piece? I think that would add even more interest.
Gray isn't really a color...it's a neutral...so your bluish grays actually make it monochromatic.
Wonderful job, Katie. I look forward to more inuksuks.
Cynthia

Betty Warner said...

Katie, I echo above comments and am enjoying looking at this piece very much.