Friday, October 03, 2008

Stripes #1, 17" x 19"


This is the first in a series of ‘Stripes’. The composition is intended to be vertical, using some horizontal as well, but with an overall vertical feeling. The complementary colors are blue and orange. It is derived from the last work I completed, an abstract piece which had vertical line quilting and long vertical rectangles placed within.

The process steps were 1) do some improvisational quilting of blue fabrics – lights and mediums, 2) border the irregular piece with dark blue indigoes, 3) create a wonky horizontal background of light and medium blues, 4) chop up the background and insert orange stripes, 5) appliqué pieced portion to background, 5) quilt vertical lines with dark blue thread, 6) use vibrant orange thread for narrow and medium satin stitches to emphasize the vertical orange stripes.

My observations are that the piece is successful in terms of the composition feeling vertical. I believe that the proportion of orange used in the stripes accomplishes this. I noticed that my ‘wonky’ horizontal stripes no longer look so ‘wonky’ when sliced and appliquéd over. Also, I think the point on the appliquéd section provides something of a focal point, but am uncertain that it is strong enough. I had hoped that the improvisational piecing in the middle would draw the viewer in, but do not think it is strong enough to accomplish that.

I would like feedback on a couple of things: 1) is enough orange included? 2) should I add something in the area of the ‘peak’ to clearly establish a focal point? 3) generally, does it feel well balanced or is it really off?

11 comments:

janice pd said...

I like blue/white china like prints. Your varying widths of the orange compliment stripes are interesting and IMO draw the viewer to the center. The indigo piece appears too heavy and I wonder if you used a white wash to tone it down if it would give more cohesion to the design? Sounds like you tried some different techniques and its a nice piece!

Betty Warner said...

Thank you for your comments, Janice. I took my photo of the piece into Photoshop and changed the indigo color to a lighter one. I think you are correct - that toning down that color might make the piece hang together more effectively.

Carole said...

Hi Elizabeth, nice to see your post. This is definitely a blue/orange complementary scheme and vertical in line. I have to agree that the 'indigo' blue seems too strong for the piece.
Interestingly, I have that same Northcott fabric and the dark indigo Japanese fabrics. I bought those Indigo ones thinking I would do something in an 'asian' flavor but never have. Might have to follow your lead. [smile]
I like the whispy feel the orange stripes give the piece.
You asked 3 questions and I don't think you have anything to worry about. As far as a focal point, IMHO the 'point' is the focal...
[enough points! haha]
Looking forward to more 'stripes' as the series move along.

anna k. said...

Elizabeth, i like your background and feel that there is a good balance of the complementary colours you have chosen.
I agree with the others in that i think that the indigo is too dark amongst all those lovely blues; it looks black on my monitor...but again it could be my monitor.
Good work.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

This is a nice piece, I like how you have broken up the vertical stripes with the darker blue, albeit it may be a bit too dark, Having said that your complimentary color choice has worked well.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I always seem to be marching to the beat of a different drum :) I really like the dark blue! It creates a lot of dimension and causes your center to pop for me. I feel like I want to peek behind the narrow orange stripes to see what's behind...
Good job
Cherie

LAQuilts said...

I really like your narrow orange stripes - I'm not sure how you did them - I do agree that your wonky background doesn't look so wonky. But the orange is really cool.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I, like Cherie, like the dark blue. If you want to change it, possibly one shade lighter. The peak is definitely a focal point and falls within one of those "sweet spots" that happen when you divide your piece into thirds. How did you do those narrow orange stripes?
Kathy

Betty Warner said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Regarding the question about how the narrow stripes are done - it is simply satin stitch with two different widths used.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Nice job on the vertical feel and the complementary color scheme. I like the soft oranges against the brilliant blues. A couple thoughts I had to consider: what if the orange strips varied more in width (they read the same wideth)? What if the background blues had more variety of color...meaning tones and shades rather than just pure hues? What if the center section used different fabrics than the background so it would pop more?
Glad you're in the group, this will be a fun year of challenges.
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

My humble opinions:
I agree that you have succeed in giving this a vertical orientation.
1, "yes" on the balance of orange. Enough was used and I like that you varied the widths of it.
2, No on adding to the peak. I like the sharp, crisp corner there.
3, This has a nearly perfect symmetrical balance. The dark pentagon is centered only slightly below the "horizon".

Thanks for the blow by blow on your method of construction.