Monday, October 27, 2008

Wandering Spirit



This is my fastest fast Friday ever…. It had to be as I leave for Vancouver B.C. first thing tomorrow am. It actually is a work in progress, and is a continuation of my “spirit” series. Using some rust printed fabric that I tried for the first time a few weeks ago, the orange color family of was my natural choice for a monochromatic color scheme. An attempt was made at a feeling of perspective, only in that some layers are clearly behind others. The perspective concept is hard to do with a “spirit” theme. Some shading may be added when I get a chance to start working on this again. I am looking forward to keeping up with this challenge from my Mom’s computer, and to finishing my piece when I return home in a week. Any ideas of how this needs to be quilted are appreciated, and of course I always welcome critiques.

6 comments:

janice pd said...

I see some depth [perspective] in the few pieces you have layered with dark fabric. IMO you can emphasis this more with the quilting.

I love to rust fabric and am always curious how people use it.

Janice

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Joni - I love the piece in the upper quarter with the two holes so that you see what is behind it. I think the piece as a whole is very attractive. You asked about quilting this work - I think the quilting should be very simple following the curves you have already established. You might consider using invisible thread. This would add a bit of dimension without distracting from lines that already work.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Joni . great monochromatic color scheme in this piece. I hope you will show it to us when its finished.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This is awesome Joni! I feel the "Spirits" drifting in space. The background feels deep...like it goes on forever. Great job!
Cherie

anna k. said...

Joni,
intriguing piece.
Great example of monochromatic tones and your piece certainly draws me in.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, I think there is alot of perspective with the feeling of depth in your piece. The edge stitching and the shadowing with the dark fabric accomplishes that. The lines on the background help too. Very effective piece...congrats
Cynthia