Thursday, October 30, 2008

What IS That? #2



Originally this was going to be done in blues...lol..but I changed to browns. This is the 2nd in my what is that series and is 15x18.5", I was going to do them all 12" but decided to mix up the sizes for a more interesting quilt after the 12 months.
I held this item in front of me at an angle and took a picture, converted it to black and white and then drew it. I then used fusible webbing to make the various shapes, fused and then sewed the edges. Unfortunately I am out of batting so this will be added to the rapidly growing piles of things to quilt!
So what is that? :-D

11 comments:

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

This is a great example of forced perspective and your use of browns was wise. I believe this is a corkscrew!

Unknown said...

I was waiting for somebody to guess that, but sorry, it isn't a corkscrew! :-)

Karen Newman Fridy said...

It could be a phone cord...or a drill bit?? Nice job whatever it is!

Unknown said...

thanks Karen, and nice try but sorry :-)

janice pd said...

well, it has to be small enough to fit in your hand so it could be curling ribbon? Nice job!

janice pd said...

wellll, if it isn't curling ribbon, how about a slinky or spring?

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Kathy great use of browns. You really did this challenge justice with this great piece.

anna k. said...

Kathy, i never would have guessed what this was.
Great use of fabric in a clever piece.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This is so much fun, guessing your subject each month :) I never in a million years would have guessed this one, but it's a super interpretation for it! Nice perspective...
Cherie

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Kathy - Somehow I missed finding out what this represents! I think your use of the various values of tans/browns is very effective. Whatever it is, its shape is well-defined and interesting.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cathy, I like your piece, especially the graphic feel with the higher contrast of the black next to the light color. so...what is it then?
Cynthia
PS...good idea to have a variety of sizes, it will be much more interesting and unusual.