Sunday, November 02, 2008

Once


22 1/2" x 20 1/2"

I've had in mind to do a blue mostly monochrome piece for a while, but the last time, it came out green! And here, my original thought was to have a sunrise, but when my husband first responded by calling it a moonrise, and actually pulled out the piece that I used for the sky, it became that, complete with his suggested title!

The ocean and stream are a mid-blue satin, the moon and reflection are a pale blue. The rest is mostly cotton, the flower on the lower left is cut from a drapery remnant from our new curtains, and the deep blue pieces with the black flowers at the bottom are polyester. I used some Angelina fiber to add depth to the stream and tone down the moon's reflection.

I tried to achieve the perspective aspect by having the stream flowing off to the ocean be wider at the front and narrow off to the distance. The moon's reflection also helps to see the ocean surface. And the shape itself, narrower at the top, may also suggest distance.

11/17 I've just finished the edge today, so I replaced the photo.

7 comments:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Hi Toby,
This piece is so serene...moonrise is perfect (I had to chuckle at you husband jumping in on it...that's so sweet!)I really like the sky - I can't tell if it's beaded or if it's the print of the fabric, but I like how it sort of sprinkles down to the moon and its reflection which then leads to the stream. The one thing that's confusing my eye a bit is the leafy part surrounding the stream...I wonder if there is a way to get a little more contrast there to distinguish it from the water. It may just be my monitor, but it seems to be almost the same value. I like the dimension and texture in the rest of the piece.

Betty Warner said...

Toby, this is an interesting piece. I think you are successful in meeting the objectives of the challenge. I think your choice of using single shapes gradually changing in size was brave.

The object in the middle at the bottom is confusing to me. It may be the color of my monitor, it seems very purplely to me and IMO draws my eye there to stay and I am not sure that was your intention.

I especially like that you have shown us the reflection of the moon.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, Rich color, unusual fabrics, lots of texture and your signature unique shape...nice job!
Cynthia

Tobi said...

No beads in this, the sky fabric has these cascades of little squares, but I might add some beads, or maybe those little reflective glittery circles. And the middle bottom pieces are just a bit on the purple side. I agree, the contrast could be better, maybe I'll touch it up with fabric paint.

Thanks for your comments.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Tobi - Yummy blues! I particularly like the moon reflection/stream. Another interesting piece.

anna k. said...

Tobi, i can always tell your pieces from your unique signature shapes.
Love that moon and it's reflection.

janice pd said...

Hi Tobi. I like the way your moon reflection and the water appear to flow off the edge of the quilt. IMO, I find the ruffled edge distracting and wonder if it would be more effective without it?