Saturday, November 08, 2008

Orange Leaves #2


I liked my first quick version of the fall leaves enough to want to improve it. So one fabric leaf was removed and many more were added. The ones on top are just stitched at the top of the leaf so they hang freely. As I worked, I kept seeing snakes under the leaves though, so a trip to Walmart and a friendly grandmother helped me find a bag of small, rubbery, colorful snakes. These were attached by sewing right through them with invisible thread. So they do not conform to the monochromatic part of the challenge at this point!

I really like the idea of putting the leaves (which are composed of two layers of fabric with felt inbetween) on top of the felt backing. It is very easy to just cut an irregular border. I may add another layer of felt on the back to make it stiffer and hid the stitching.

The grey background is the floor porch-not part of the quilt.

Learned a lot, enjoyed it, and looking forward to Nov 28th.

Nancy Schlegel

3 comments:

Monty Wilson said...

Wow, Nancy, I really like what you did. It's much more interesting than the first version. (And I especially like the cute little snakes..but then, I like snakes of almost any color.)

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Nancy, very colorful and I love the shape of it. The black background was a great idea to add drama and contrast. Good job!
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

HI Nancy - I like the way you have added the leaves to the leaf background as well as the nice variety of leaf shapes and colors. I think the snakes were an excellent addition - they give the piece a focal point. Good work!