Sunday, November 30, 2008

ren's Solar Flare


Solar Flare
21.5 inches high x 11.5 inches wide
velvet, cotton fabrics; cotton, silk threads; yellow colored pencil

I get lots of inspiration from this NASA website. Today's piece is a continuation of my solar series and, unlike the Solar Orbs from Challenge #26, which were supposed to be monochromatic but looked much more analogous, this one fulfills the monochromatic task much better, eh?

And value: hot white center of the flare, out to black-on-red velvet. I hope this is what the challenge meant us to do.

8 comments:

Linda Cline said...

You still seem to be working with an analagous color scheme - yellow through orange to red. If it were monochromatic, then the red would fade to pink.

However, you have effectively show the brightness and hotness of a solar flare contrasted with the darkness of space. The colors you have chosen are perfect.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ren - You've done a great job with the solar flare - I'm always intrigued with those like you who have bits of velvet around and make such good use of them. I like your use of value change as well as the stark contrast with the black. And your stitching adds some extra zing and movement. Nice work.

janice pd said...

An interesting piece. I like the tail coming off the plane and the thread painting (?) to soften the juncture of each color. Very nice!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I think you have captured this challenge, the piece has a lot of depth. Very nice!

Joni said...

Hi Ren,
I like the firey feel of this piece, and think the quilting adds alot of texture to your work. Very good use of value.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

HI Ren...
I too love the NASA stuff. I am currently working on a series of Nebulae. I especially love your shaped edges. Very effective. Good job...
Cherie

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

Your thread work on the edges is really nice and goes a long way towards softening your work. Good job!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ren, very dramatic! Feels hot and firey except for the cooler pink/white center which gives some nice contrast. Great job!
Cynthia