Saturday, December 13, 2008

challenge 27


This started with a photo of my Mom meeting her great granddaughter for the first time. The original photo taken by my dear cousin Tom, was of the whole group on a busy background. Tom had arranged this visit because Mom had been wanting to see her newest great grandchild. It was a bitter sweet photo because Mom is strapped into a wheel chair and my sister Mary is actually holding the baby on Mom's lap.

However, the way they are looking at each other is so poignant, that I felt it deserved a cropping. I used 'Paint'. It was a very long process since it is pixel by pixel. If anyone has suggestions for another program I would love it. I fused over 400 small pieces of fabric to create the shading. I'm just beginning to work with color since my first year of quilting was mostly black and white.

Problems encountered were fused 'Heat N'Bond' pieces that began to come off when I started quilting around Mom. I then zig-zag those pieces onto the background using a clear poly thread. Then I began 'shading' with thread. There is still more to do before I finish it. However, that may be next year, so I wanted to post now. I over painted the background on the photo of Mom because the 'black' did not print as dark as I wanted. I used acrylic paints mixed with a fabric medium. However, it stiffened the fabric. I think I would like to get either some paints made for fabric or dyes that can be thickened.

I have a title in mind, but am not sure about it. If you have an idea, please let me know. All comments and suggestions gratefully accepted.

5 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ann, The photo is very sweet of itself, and what wonderful effects you achieved with those small pieces of fabric! Good work!
Cynthia

fastfriday said...

Hi Ann I like your piece a lot, but if you want to continue to crop photos you might look into getting either photoshop elements or the entire program, which will allow you to select portions of images with a bit more ease. Also you could try using Tsukineko inks, or even Shiva Paint sticks instead of acrylic paints. A light application of the shiva paint sticks doesn't change the hand of the fabric. Both can be heat set with an iron.
Kathy Walker

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Ann - What painstaking work you have done to clean up the picture - I think it was quite worth it. I agree with Kathy about Photoshop Elements. I just got the program a month ago and have been taking on-line classes from Beth Wheeler. The program can easily eliminate backgrounds and many other things that will enhance photos.

Other paints that you might consider are Jacquard fabric paints or Pebeo Setacolor. With a piece that you know will never be washed you can also go a long way with a cheap set of watercolors.

Linda Cline said...

I love the way you have combined your images.The photo seems a little faded next to the dark black and the bright blue. I keep wanting the center image to be larger to fill the black space more. The way you have created the eye is wonderful.

Name suggestions:
Apple of My Eye
In the Eye of the Beholder
Blue Eyed Gals

janice pd said...

I like that you put the focus off center and i love the little pieces you fused to create the texture of an eye. you might try next time laying tulle over all the pieces before you do any stitching. I agree that I would have liked to see a little bit larger image in the center of the eye. It sounds like it was the expression on both of the faces that was the inspiration for the piece. A very close shot of the two faces to fill the black area, even with some cropping of hair and background, might tell your story well, IMO.