Sunday, December 07, 2008

Inuksuk at sunrise






This month I used a photo of an inuksuk that I took. There were dozens of these little stone "statues" along the highway between Dryden, Ontario, and the Manitoba border. This is the only one I could photograph - we had to find a place to stop safely on the highway to get out and take a picture. I think this little guy was about 3 feet tall - it was standing at the top of the rocky edge above the road, so I had to shoot straight up toward him.

My inuksuk series leaves this one where he lives, at sunrise.

The size is about 9" by 12 1/2". Critiques are always welcome.

6 comments:

LAQuilts said...

Wow that is nice - is the background part of the photo or added in by you. Very wonderful coloring and a great way to have the light and dark.

Linda Cline said...

You have done a great job combining this inuksuk with the sunrise. I love the sky. It's like putting the inuksuk under a spotlight, and it adds a great contrast, both in value and character.

Monty Wilson said...

Thanks for the nice comments! The background is a commercial print with the sun rays, combined with a batik that ranges from orange through yellow, green and back again. Sort of Cheater's Cloth!

Joni said...

Hi Katie,
Great use of a photo in a quilt. I like the background you chose, and it works so well setting off your focal point - the inuksuk. This piece makes one feel inspired and hopeful. Very Nice. Joni

janice pd said...

I like this best so far of your series. You have shown a wonderful use of a digital image and commercial fabrics. It portrays a feeling of renewal and hopefulness, IMO

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Katie, this is gorgeous. Dramatic, peaceful, grounded...and so pretty!
Cynthia