Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Just a Pawn in this confusing, sometimes crazy, game called Life"



Not quite sure I have met this month's challenge, but this is the piece that wanted to be made so I had to go with it!
And for once I have actually managed to finish one completely, even to the quilting, which is just a stipple.
It is 21" square, middle section is pieced from 16 of my brightest, craziest fabrics that all have the same colors in them. I like how the diagonal going down to the right bottom has black as the background, seems to cut a path through and ties in well to the border fabric, which also has tiny specks of the same colors in it.
I guess my zinger color would be white.
My son said I should have made the "chessboard" with the right amount of squares, I think it's 64? I thought of that but then they would have been so small and I wanted to show the tiny pawn (me) next to the bigger squares (life)
I think the title says what feelings I was trying to show here...confusion, (the many different patterns) although this could also show joy (all the colors), sadness (the black), and hope (the white) surrounding all the other emotions.
Am I making any sense???? LOL

7 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cathy - Yes, you certainly are making sense. I think your title says it all! The fabrics you chose for the chess board are all complex - it doesn't look as if it would be very easy to find one's way from one side to the other. And the teeny pawn is just standing there looking quite intimidated. Good work and good explanation!

fastfriday said...

Hi Cathy - Your piece makes me see how small one really is in this chess game of life. Great use of the black background pieces. Pat

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

I don't think there are any rules for the number of squares in the game of life--or even if there are squares in this game. I really like both the colour selection and the size of the squares. I think this conveys a message very well, especially when viewed with the title in mind.
Pat F in Winnipeg

janice pd said...

I like your explanation of your piece. I can tell you gave it lots of thought. IMO the little pawn gets lostbecause of the B/W border...maybe that was your intention....and I wonder what would happen if you removed the borders?

LAQuilts said...

Your fabric chess set is all with what I could call zinger colors so the white actually works really well as a nice resting spot for the eye. The colors and the confusion are really representational of life.

Joni said...

Cathy,
I like your chess set composition about life. The fabrics you chose for the squares are lively and exciting and although somewhat confusing, I think they might entice the poor little pawn to jump in as enjoy the game! It is interesting to note that you show no opponents. Nice life! It is great that you were able to produce a piece that can be viewed in several ways. Nice work! Joni

Carole said...

I want to echo Joni's thoughts... your fabric choices are excellent, very busy, making the 'board' seem whole.... and so often, don't we just feel like that pawn???
Nice job of expressing feelings.