Tuesday, January 27, 2009

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST


What a super challenge this was, Thanks Ren!
I loved the idea ofworking rhythm/motion; and tension/energy together.

I used Joen Wolframs 24 step color wheel to get my analogous color scheme. She states you can use 3 colors on either side of the chosen color for a total of 7. I used yellow, going to golden yellow, orange yellow, yellow orange on one side and chartreuse, yellow green, and spring green on the other side of yellow. I used both the true color and a light tint for each one...14 colors.

I used a diagram of a late stage prostate cancer cell found in Scientific American. It was black and white with the cancer shown in red. I think the structure of the diagram is beautiful and full of motion and energy.I used all hand dyed fabrics for the colors and holographic fabric for the cancer. The connecting lines are all stitched with matching rayon threads, and variegated metallic.

The beauty of the design is at odds with the beast within!

The quilt measures 31"x33"

Your comments are welcomed and appreciatedCherie

13 comments:

Pam Harris said...

WOW!! I think you accomplished all aspects of the challenge. I, too, have used Joen Wolfram's color wheel and find it extremely helpful. I have always thought that microscopic pictures are a good source of inspiration so it's good to see one depicted in a quilt.

ren said...

I'm glad that you like the challenge. You did a great job of it!
Ren

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Cherie - This is susch an interesting piece. Your use of so many analogous colors is excellent. And the stitching gives it a strong impact and keeps the eye moving around the piece. You found inspiration in an unusual place but it is truly a thing of beauty.

Wendy said...

At first I thought this was ferris wheels at night! Silly me.... but great job. It flows, its interesting and its great use of color!

Jan said...

Great! The color choices on a black background are awesome. What great rhythm and tension you accomplished all in one piece. I think it kind of resembles fireworks exploding in the night sky on the Fourth of July.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Thank you all for your comments :-)
I love all the different interpretations and can definitely see the ferris wheels and fireworks. If you rotate the design 90 degrees to the right (as you look at it), it looks like an angel to me. LOL
I made a bias binding using all the colors, (following the analogous order). It repeats twice keeping the upper left corner black...
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

What a concept, and the way you portrayed it is fanatasic. I'm so glad you mentioned using more than two colors for this challenge.
I love what you've done here, it has a lot of movement and keeps the eyes moving around the piece.

Joni said...

Cherie,
This is a wonderful piece, it is sad how beautiful something that causes so much suffering can be. I have found that nature even on the cellular level can be such an inspiration for art. Your piece is very effective and nicely made.

Carole said...

Cherie, this is an incredible interpretation of the challenge,
My comments echo the above.
Well done!
Carole

anna k. said...

Cherie,
another beautiful piece of work which has successfully met the requirements of the challenge.
A joy to look at this!
Anna k.

Betty Warner said...

A wonderful work. I love going back and turning my head to see it from different perspectives. I think you pretty much nailed this challenge. Your quilting is very well chosen. Great job!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cherie, This is fantastic...great job! It definitely looks tense and energetic with the connecting lines and the color and positioning of the circles. It's a good sized piece...I hope you'll enter it in a show somewhere...it's an eyecatcher and beautifully constructed and quilted.
Cynthia

janice pd said...

Hi Cherie. When first looking at this I saw one of those crazy windows screen savers that twist and turn so definitely movement here. There are many examples of this kind of beauty in the scientific world and you were successful showing this one.

Janice