Friday, January 02, 2009

Hunter Moon over Lasqueti Island


MOON SERIES #4
Ok, I know you are saying 'Lasqueti Island?" It is an Island across from our house when we lived in Parksville on Vancouver Island, B.C. back in the early 90's. What we used to see from our house over on and toward that Island was always so intriguing. Kept my binoculars on the front foyer hall table next to the telescope for star-watching.
So, this is it! My December Moon. I loved doing this one [I think I love doing them all.....] albeit a scramble for how-to.... but I am coming along with the 'hand' side of the work.
For this one I used chiffon.....if you never have... try it! Wow it is so easy to manipulate. And this had the colors I needed. For the sky above the Island mountain range, I used dryer lint. I had washed a blue sweater and I think half my sweater ended up in the lint catcher, so.... having paid for the whole sweater, I decided to use what I couldn't wear! Again, I used the needle felting machine to hold those
fibers down and provide some texture to the chiffon. Then I just got out my embroidery threads. I used my last Saturdays Michael's 50% off coupon and got 105 skeins for 7 or so dollars!
[My husband says I am Ebenezer Scrooge!haha].
I used Shiva Sticks to color the moon... using a grid underneath the fabric, used turquoise stick and some gold on other fabric for the highlights. On the water, to depict the break on the waves in a rising tide I used crystal chiffon.... it just shreds so beautifully under those barbed needles. [Wouldn't be hard to do by hand for accents].
I hope you like it, I hope I met the challenge and I hope I am inspiring some of you to try some of these 'odd-ball' techniques!
Since this was Tobi's challenge, I honored her in the shape of my piece.
Keeping that lint on was a challenge in itself and the chiffon pulled in a little more than I thought it would,so in order to keep to my Journal Size for this series, I just finished it the way it was covered. that, too was fun....

Comments are always welcome.......and appreciated.
Carole

9 comments:

Joni said...

Carole,
This would be a great piece to see in person, your variety of tecniques and textures could really be appreciated then. I like the moon's surface texture and the contrast it makes with the dark remaining parts of the piece. Joni

janice pd said...

Hi Carole, this is a really nice series. I like that you are making the moon so large and dominant in each piece...but they are all so different. Does that make any sense??? It would be nice to see more of a close up to see more detail that you describe.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carole, this is my favorite in your series so far...wonderful contrasts in color and textures and those sparkley bits add so much interest. Sometimes less is more when it comes to sparkle, and I think you hit a good balance in this piece. Hand stitches and rough edging are perfect touches.
Good work!
Cynthia

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Carole, what a great series. And to think you are working without a sewing machine,you are doing a terrific job of portraying the moon. I can envision this view from the Island, the hand stitching really adds to the overall effect. Wonderful work.

Betty Warner said...

Carole.. This is great. The textures, the hand stitching, the little bit of bling, the use of the chiffon. I can't think of any constructive criticism to offer. I am inspired by your use of 'odd-ball' techniques.

Della said...

Carole . . . I love dryer lint. I used to keep it in a jar for future projects, but one jar lead to another. I figured I'd let go of the jars and make lint to order. I just might have to go shopping for a new fuzzy blue sweater. I love the variety of textures in your piece. The hand stitching and chiffon are just right. Great piece.

anna k. said...

Carole, another fabulous piece.
Love that moon and love your skills.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Carole - I think this is the best yet - and you don't even have your sewing machine! The whole composition is very pleasing - it has a lovely balance and just enough interest to move the eye around. But my favorite part is that moon - it is outstanding! Your decision to use the Painstiks and a grid give it real presence.

Super.

Cheryl Coville said...

Carole, I enjoyed your description of how this all came together and I really like the irregular shape.