Sunday, January 25, 2009

Magma in Motion


Magma in Motion
20 X 21

I had fun with this challenge and did as instructed. I went to my stash and picked out a crate of fabric. I should have picked blue as I have trouble using that color.

I had found an article by Karen Eckmeier on Free-Form Curves that had been set aside as "something to try someday". Since my goal was to show movement, I thought this a great technique to try. I had no preconceived idea of the finished product as I started cutting and piecing. I liked the way she had the curves going in several different directions.

My husband, who is a geologist, thought it looked like a magma flow. I think he has Hawaii on his brain as we are getting ready to escape the cold and darkness of an Alaskan winter.

My series is shapes/time but I didn't factor that into this project. The goal was to experiment. I did try some free motion quilting but my machine and I were not getting along at the time so I just did lines and varied the thread colors. I should have used more contrasting thread from the start as I like the effect. Every project is a learning experience, especially if one neglects to read all the directions.

Thank you to all you take the time to comment on all the quilts.

Pam

9 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Pam - I really like what you have done with this challenge. Your curvy lines create a great sense of motion and you were quite successful with your use of analogous colors. Your curvy quilting adds some nice dimension. Good work!

ren said...

Pam,
Good good work, here. Everything comes together very well. Ren

Wendy said...

Even before I read your title, I thought about something volanic. Excellent movement, great colors and depth...

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I find myself caught up in this whirlpool of color and gazing around and around the quilt.
What a beautiful 'eruption' you have created!
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Pam, you really captured the movement of magma in your piece. It is wonderful. Your use of analogous colors is remarkable, I love all the bright colors.

Joni said...

Pam,
Wow! This piece really is "hot". You have got those curves singing. Nice work.

anna k. said...

Pam,
great work on those curves; you seem to have mastered the art.
I particularly like the right hand part of your piece; the curves there suggest magma coming up out of the depths.
Good work,
Anna.

Betty Warner said...

Pam - I really love this work. Echo all the other comments. Great job!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Pam, congrats on getting a new technique incorporated into a successful piece. Lots of flowing movement, interesting textures with the print fabrics. Have you considered any embellishments to further enhance the piece and/or create more of a focal point? A scattering of beading could look like burning embers, flare up, charred bits, or sparks or they could spiral down to the depths that Anna mentioned above.
Good work, Pam
Cynthia