Friday, January 30, 2009

Moonlit Canyon


Moon # 5 in this series.
The January moon was as big and as close as the December one, however, it was so White, so Bright.... it was so beautiful.
So, that was my inspiration, the white of this moon was accomplished by using the stuffing that comes in my bottle of vitamins. Absolutely the right 'color' [or lack of it] and texture. I overlaid some crystal organza and used my needle felting machine to scrunch and texturize. It went from there. I have used the backside of a piece of lurex lame, a remainder of scrim from another project, snippets and stitches to depict the breezy canyon. A ton of hand stitches in floss... my I think I could be hooked, the texture and 'hand' are so unique to anything experienced by machine. The edge treatment on this one is something I have never done and dreamed up about 4 hours ago. I have some kimono silk, so I cut lengths, put one edge on the front, turned the remainder to the back and stitched... all this is raw edge...then I went around it again with floss, on the angle to make that scalloped edge. I have this stitch on my machine and have only ever used it on a sleeve edge. Do you like it?
I really look forward to and appreciate your comments.
Carole

7 comments:

Joni said...

Carole,
I love the way you edged this piece. It makes it look so soft. You really got creative on this one, and the result is wonderful. I and sense a moon glow over the canyon, with a playful play of light. This is very effective! Good job!

anna k. said...

Carole, seems you are having fun with all the different textiles you are using.
You've produced a wonderful piece though i feel that it may fall into the category of Achromatic rather than analogous.
I love the details with the hand stitching and the edging.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Carole
I love the dimension created with all the different textures. I see the canyons, stars in the sky, and feel the wind blowing through. My impression however is of the moon tumbling into the canyon as it seems to be in front of the mountain. What if you add some "star" stitching in the areas beside the lower half of the moon to blend that area into sky?
I love that edging as well. Did you do it by hand or machine?
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

WOW Carole, this is an amazing piece, with so few colors!
There is lot's of movement in it. You've certainly achieved the glow of moonlight.
Analagous? I don't know about that, but that aside it is a gorgeous piece of work.
I think we are both hooked on the big hand stitching :)

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carole, who would pass up a white moon on a black night...I think you were right to go with your instincts and depict it without the color. Very dramatic, wonderful textures, subtle movement in the clouds, trees and grass, and a nice path to follow with the stitches. Great job!
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hello Carole - Moon #5 came out so well. The use of a variety of fabrics and non-fabrics, the wonderful big stitches and the achromatic scheme work so well together to tell the story. My favorite area is just under and a bit to the right of the moon. There is a line of scrim that is light and dissolves into dark. It adds so much depth to the piece along with the great texture.

I think this exploration of working without a machine has helped you evolve further in your work. What a delight!

janice pd said...

Hi Carole, I think it's all been said but I really like the series, too. I'm impressed that you keep finding more ideas to add to the series.

Janice