Friday, January 02, 2009

Time to Celebrate


This is not only a celebration of the New Year but my mother’s 80th birthday on December 28. I am flying to Reno next week for her party. We are fortunate to celebrate as she has had some major health issues the past couple of years but is determined they not slow her down.

This piece is 11” X 17” and made from hand dyed fabrics. Mom’s favorite colors are pink, purple and orange. One of the fabrics was dye painted, discharged and then the yellow dots painted to add the zing. The second fabric was a variegated red/orange blend. After slicing and arranging, the variegated fabric didn’t seem to add to the composition so I fused some circles from the scraps and added additional purple strips. I also quilted in some circles to add color and texture. I don’t have much experience with free motion quilting so this was good practice.

My series is shapes/time.

I would like to thank everyone who has taken time to comment on my quilts as well as others as it’s always good to see through someone else’s eyes.

Happy New Year,

Pam Harris

9 comments:

Joni said...

Pam,
I love the joyfulness of your very vibrant piece. I'll bet it was alot of fun to make. The yellow circles really zing so your interpretation of this challenge was excellent! Nice Job. Hope you enjoy your mom's birthday (maybe she would like to have your quilt?) Joni

janice pd said...

I think you met the challenge in showing joy and celebration. I see crepe paper streamers and bubbles blowing in the wind. Nice job!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Pam, very fun and vibrant piece. The purple strips really add alot of movement. When you have a vibrant piece like this, sometimes the zinger isn't bright, but different...I can see a few scattering of white confetti might work for that.
Good work...I look forward to seeing more of your work
Cynthia

Carole said...

Pam, I can feel the excitement you were having in looking forward to this celebration!. Do you often work from what you see in your mind? I do, I try drawing but even so, what comes out is how I see it and how I feel it... mentally.
I, too, thought 'Wow! what a gift for the celebrant'.... did she see it?
Thank you for sharing. Nicely done.

Betty Warner said...

Pam... This piece has a lot of movement that flows well. I think the yellow scattered throughout is the zinger. I like your free motion quilting and especially like your color choice for the border.

Della said...

Pam. . . This one just bubbles with joy. I love the transparent layered look. I think your quilting in circles with shiny thread qualifies as another zinger. Enjoy your time with Mom in Reno.

anna k. said...

This piece does effectively have the mood of celebration about it.
Happy and fun.
Good work on the free motion quilting.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Pam - I like the way you put this together then started changing it. By adding more purple strips and yellow circles you made it cohesive. And really jolly!

Cheryl Coville said...

Pam, how cool is it to see how you cut and reassembled. Lots of joyous movement!