Monday, January 12, 2009

Zinger Quilt


I finally finished tonight after being snowed in from a fierce blizzard. I'd intended to actually finish a quilt and on time until my sewing machine went in for an extended tune-up and ended up staying because I couldn't get back to retrieve it due to weather conditions.
Birds have always been a favorite of mine but I've only used them in one previous quilt. The Black-capped Chickadee is my all time favorite so I chose to put him as the focal point on a cold winter day. I chose to use Bittersweet as the 'zinger' color. The branch the Chickadee is perched upon is a bit large and I tried to tone it down a bit with some fabric paint. I also used pen lines to delineate some of the feather lines on his tail and wings.

Jan Johnson

6 comments:

Carole said...

Jan.. this is anther wonderful use of nature and letting it dictate the 'zinger'.. this is so well done and I am glad you were able to get it done and posted.
Carole

Cheryl Coville said...

Fabulous! I just love it!

Della said...

Jan. . . What a beautiful quilt. Your Bittersweet not only works as a great zinger, it also establishes depth by winding over the branch and then behind the bird. Great job.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Jan - I really like the combination of the cold sky and the gray and white of the bird with the orange bittersweet. The message of cold comes across well and the addition of the warmth of the orange truly gives the whole piece some zing. A lovely piece of work.

Linda Cline said...

What a beautiful quilt. The colors are wonderful. I don't think the branch is too large, but the fabric paint seems to have given it nice dimension. The branch does seem to cut your picture almost in half. The composition might be improved if you cropped off the bottom portion of the sky to move the branch lower.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan, this is so pretty, wonderful depth, great color and my favorite little bird, too
Great job
Cynthia