Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Late but done


Late again but done. I'm not totally pleased with it. Part of my problem is that I've vowed not to buy any more fabric but use up some of the piles that I already have on hand. Needless to say I haven't made much of a dent and of course, small projects use less.

I was ready to try the analogous theme and chose the colors of purple, blue, blue-green, green. It didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped and I think it was mostly due to the too dark background which I couldn't get to do what I'd hoped it would.

As for the rhythm/movement or tension/energy I'd have to say it's more of a static tension in that it's repetitive and retreating. Maybe next challenge I'll do better.

Jan

8 comments:

Joni said...

Hi Jan,
Glad you were able to participate in this challenge. I like you seagull sentenals, the repetition of the birds and their perches is very effective. Although this is a very dark piece, it is very pleasing and interesting. Good work.

janice pd said...

Hi Jan. I like your dark background. I've seen seagulls perch like this when storm clouds are building in the background. I also like your quilting lines to help show movement.

Janice

anna k. said...

I do like your seagulls, very effective.You have sewn them so well with character.
I would like to see one of the seagulls in a slightly different pose (eg looking the otherway or something) it would add just a little bit of quirkiness ?tension to the piece. That's just my opinion and it's great as it is
Anna

Jan said...

Believe me, I'm not upset by any of the comments posted. I do this to LEARN. I teach school and am used to the adverse comments I have gotten over the years. Thanks to all who are honest with me good or bad.
I liked the idea of having a single gull look the other way. This was from a photo I had just as is.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

I really like your composition. My BIL once told my kids that if birds were all lined up facing the same direction, they were attending a bird wedding!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I think you've achieved the challenge very well.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Jan - This is such a peaceful scene although the dark background and swirling waters make me think a storm is coming. I think the repetition of the birds as they grow smaller down the line gives a nice rhythmic feel. I wouldn't change a thing. Super!

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I live in a beach community and the seagulls do sit and perch like that. Your piece does make me feel as though a storm is imminent.
Nice work.
Kathy