Sunday, February 01, 2009

Spring Solitude




This was a challenge in many ways:

1) I used blue. I like blue and have a lot of blue fabrics but never seem to pull them out. So---I used blue, blue-violet, red-violet, and red.

2) I used blocks of color---another fork in the road!

3) After appliqueing the blocks,I decided to do an overall quilting. So--to keep with my vegetation theme, I sketched a scene with trees, foliage, grass, hills, etc. These were transferred to some tear-away tracing paper and pinned onto the quilt. Worked like a charm! However, it probably took me close to six hours total to get out all the paper. But--do want to let you know that I'd do it again. I posted a picture of it partially quilted so you could see my quilting technique. The quilt is about 20" x 18".

All in all, I'm very pleased with the outcome. It is not edge finished--but will probably face it so it won't change in looks.

I used analogous colors. There is rhythm/movement in the quilting and tension/energy in the blocks.

Wonderful challenge--thanks. Sally

6 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sally, Wow, this is really different for you. Love the vibrant colors and the way the shapes are put together and the many textures from the quilting lines and print fabric choices. Love, love, love the foliage/scene created with the quilting. It creates such a lovely contrast in line and feel to the color blocks.
I have a idea for avoiding the tissue paper drawing. Use a darker plain backing, do your drawing in chalk pencil or soap slivers, then quilt on the lines from the back
Wonderful work..congrats!
Cynthia

Carole said...

Sally, this departure from your usual work is very inspiring!
Clearly a 'work of art'....don't you just
love quilting from the back?
I am so impressed with the way you used your color 'blocks'... way cool.
I am so glad you did this and got it posted.
Well Done!
Carole

Sally said...

Carole--Thank you for your comments. Just want you to know that the quilting was done from the front. That is why it took me so long to get it posted! I have often quilted from the back and love the technique.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Sally - This is a great new approach for you. Your use of the blue to pink and red creates a lovely landscape and I like the blocks of color so much. But the quilting was so worth it. I wish I could see it in person.

Another couple of thoughts for future quilting - I have EZ Washout Chalk Markers in white, red and blue (came in a set). You can mark all you want and the lines come off with a damp cloth. Another thing I have used is washaway paper. It is not real cheap but it beats spending six hours picking out those pesky bits of paper. With the paper you have to soak the piece so it would have to be something that could get truly wet.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you do more of this type of work - it is terrific!

Joni said...

Hi Sally,
This really is a breath of fresh spring air! I love your colors and the quilting was worth all the effort you put into it! Great Job!

janice pd said...

Nice piece! I like the quilted flowers/grasses and think the use of the soft circular background fabric gives the illusion of dandelion fluff on the wind.

Janice