Friday, March 06, 2009

Ch #30, "Songbirds"


Great challenge. I painted the background on Lutrador. I was trying for violet, but got closer to blue. Next I scanned my pencil drawing onto the computer and printed the outline of the birds and twigs onto the hand painted Lutrador. I then applied gesso inside the outlines to provide a white ground for the digitally painted birds. Held my mouth just right and ran the piece through the printer again and hoped the ink and gesso would line up. First time was a charm - ok I confess I did run a test print on paper, because I can never remember how the paper feeds. Bumped the print with a little ink, felted wool, and sparkles. Added a border and quilted. Woohoo, done by the deadline.

8 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Della, I like the detailed explanation of your technique.
Nice S curve in the birds and the tree.
What is your split complimentary?
blue, red/orange and yellow orange?
Very nice.

Betty Donahue said...

Cool - I like all the interesting techniques that you used.
Betty

janice pd said...

Della, nice piece. I like your s-curve in the birds and branches and your choice of border fabric with leaves.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Della, Your birds have personalities that befit the color lime green! The dark branches and dark top and bottom borders add the perfect amount of punch and contrast. There's an Asian feel yet whimsical feel to the piece. I think it's fabulous...please send it to me!
Cynthia

Carole said...

Della, if I am closer than Cynthia,would you please send it to me? haha.... this is 'lovely'.. a very soft piece. I have just started working with Lutrador and it is so fun, wouldn't you agree.
Nice techniques, thank you for sharing those and your moon makes me want to stay with my moon series...... did I say that??
Well done and now I will look for more Lutradur in the next challenges??
Carole

Joni said...

Della, this piece makes one really ready for spring. I love the delicate feel of the piece and the branches making the s-curves is an excellent touch. I think I need to give this Lutrador a try. Where do you buy it?

Betty Warner said...

Della:
What a great use of the Lutrador. It is a fabulous piece. Love the scale of the moon. It's an inspiration.

Betty

Jan said...

I really like the way the birds, branch and moon turned out. Of course, I'm a bird lover anyway. The only suggestion I might make is what would happen if you placed the darks together at a right angle on either the top or bottom and one side and then the light borders together as the blacks?