Sunday, March 08, 2009

Done... Late.... Untitled....

In the past few months, I have been struggling in the creativity department. A new yarn store in town (conveniently located inside the LQS) has rekindled my love for knitting and I'm enjoying learning new stuff about yarn and patterns. I've made a bunch of hats and scarves and felted bags (thinking ahead to the holidays....) and with the pace of my job, knitting is a nice diversion in the evenings when I should be sewing.
This piece is roughly based on a knitting stitch, a basketweave that gives the illusion of a woven piece. The fabric is from Judith Baker Montano's first line from Kaufman. The turquoise and orange/greens are 3 different fabrics of the same pattern, cut as 4" blocks with 1/4" gold silk insets, then offset and recut and shuffled.
The S curve is in the quilting (click on the image for a larger view). My split complementary scheme was turquoise, yellow/orange, orange red. Binding is all machine done (blind hem stitch)... and it needs a name! Suggestions and critque welcome!

6 comments:

Carole said...

Hi Wendy, this is 'Stone Henge' to me... I am quite impressed with the way you used fabric from the same line in such an effective manner. I did enlarge and examine your quilting stitching [darn, can't help it.... its the teacher in me] and it is a lovely wave type of free motion stitch, that probably doesn't make it Stone Henge, but maybe some Islands somewhere in an exotic ocean...
the gold silk is a nice soft touch.
I am glad you were able to do this...
I will be definitely looking for more in this series!
Good job!
Carole

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wendy, what a great idea to take a knitting pattern and put it to fabric. You have succeeded, this is a gorgeous piece. The fabric is lovely. Good job.

janice pd said...

Hi Wendy, what a striking quilt. I like the silk insets, too. What about naming it "S-squared" ?

Joni said...

Wendy, It is wonderful that you were able to use elements from two of your "loves" into this piece. I think it could be called "view from the basket". Love the color selection too.

Betty Warner said...

Wendy:
What an innovative piece. I am wondering, silly I know, which are the knits and which are the purls. I know this fabric and like your use of it. Especially like the addition of the gold insets. A name - "Dropped Stitches"?

Betty Warner

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, I've taken up knitting recently and just love it...what a great way to relax at the end of the day. I like your unique piece...looks architectural to me. The gold silk is the perfect accent to the deep muted fabric. Good job!
Cynthia