Friday, March 06, 2009

Lava Lamp


Once again the timing of this challenge was perfect! I actually had the design idea for this small piece (15" x 15") rattling around inside my brain since I purchased the patterned bluish fabric while visiting my parents in Florida last month. As soon as I saw the fabric it made me think of the lava lamp an aunt had that used to fascinate me as a child. To be honest I was picturing the work as being created from an analogous color scheme - blue green, green and yellow-green - but this month's challenge made me consider replacing the green with red and I think it works much better than it would have. It is pretty much done and all quilted but now I think it may be crying out for a few beads and a touch of embroidery.

8 comments:

Linda Mac said...

Kathy, I love your lava lamp. The colors just jump out. LindaMac in Wyo

janice pd said...

Hi Kathy, what a fun piece and title. Your curves and colors work really well in this piece. Great job!

Betty Warner said...

Kathy:
I echo the comments above and enjoy this piece very much. I think your idea of adding a few beads is a good one.

Carole said...

Hi Kathy... I remember Lava Lamps... I always wanted one, someday when I grew up! You did an excellent job here both with your colors and the 'lava lamp' curves, it is a fun piece and I can see lots of embellishment on this...We don't see the edges on this... but even something coming off the bottom?? Just a thought...
BTW... your piecework is very good...
Carole

LAQuilts said...

I love this - the colors really work well and you very nicely captured the essence of a lava lamp. Leave it - no need for beads.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Kathy, great color scheme,perfect for the subject! Have you considered adding a few misshaped globs or string of small circles between a few of the larger circles? This feels somewhat ordered/symmetrical with the red circles evenly placed and similiar sized. I remember staring at lava lamps and the fascinating way the globs separated and floated up (very psychedelic.
Your work is always so impeccably constructed...it's a treat to see your pieces.
Cynthia

Joni said...

Hi Kathy, your lava lamp is excellent, I love the color selection and the way the "s" curves just draw you in. The quilting adds a sense of motion to your lamp too. Very nice.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Kathy - You really captured the essence of a lava lamp. Like Cynthia, I think a few odd shapes of "lava" bubbling up might add interest. Your color combinations are a delight and you certainly made lovely curves. Great response to the challenge.