Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fragility



I LOVED doing this one and just may be off on a new tangent.
Shopping for the fabric was fun, putting it together was even more fun.
I hope I got the 'GRID' part of this challenge. I used Joen Wolfram's
Color tool and used the 7 colors. My main color was 'yellow' and I went from there.
I used threads in the same color and the beads pretty much fit as well.
I used a yellow poplin for the background, it only shows in small bits. I drew a 2" grid all through it. From there, I tore my Dupioni silk into approximate squares and laid them out on the grid. I added over top , etc... all along the grid line drawn underneath. I hand stitched using a 'ladder' stitch. I also tore organza into 'bite-size' pieces and laid them out in an overlapping diagonal toward the bottom.
I used stitches, a button, loose threads and beads to embellish. As you know, Dupioni silk frays like crazy, so in straightening my fabric, I pulled the fraying threads toward the selvage. I cut that off, rolled it into organza squares, letting the threads hang down. I wrapped the 'tubes' in embroidery floss, tied into the top knot a 4 stone Svaroski crystal pendant [green] and stitched them on with a bead at the top. It is bound with a sheer.. also torn and see through edges. Beads embellish the edges in the binding.
I called it 'Fragile', I think because of the fragile system we live in.. re: swine flu, faltering economies, age and the frailties associated there. Add to that the incredible 'show' of support for Virginia Spiegel's Cancer fund-raiser.... me remembering my own asleep in death.... just made me think FRAGILE. That is why I like the torn edges, the threads and see-through frays.
I look forward to your comments..... and your 'what-if's'...
Carole

4 comments:

Joni said...

Wow Carole this is wonderful! I love how the fragile elements hold together to make a strong statement. Your embellishing on this piece really supports the statement your are making. We all are beautiful creatures, even when our fragile side is exposed! They many layers and the translucent quality of the fabrics add to the statement as well. Well done!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Well thought out Carole, and the title fits so well. It is just gorgeous. Well done my friend.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Carole, I love your wrapped embellishments. What a great idea to leave the threads hanging...so effective. Very nice
Cherie

Betty Warner said...

Carole:
This is an inspiring piece. The title ties it all together. I especially enjoyed looking at your hand stitching which adds so much to the piece.
Well done! Can't think of any what-if's, sorry!

Betty Warner