Saturday, May 02, 2009

Fly Over

I knew exactly how to do the grid for this. I used a technique I read in Stitch magazine (a British embroiders guild magazine) by Sandra Middleton. I have used this technique in several different variations of my own on other projects. It is one of those techniques that makes it look like you worked very hard. However, it is mainly about fusing and slicing fabric.

What I couldn't work out was how to get it to fit with the dragon series. I showed some friends from my art group. One lady said it looked like a city from above...and so the idea was born that the dragon was flying overhead.

I used orangeyreds, peach, through to yellow, but not pure yellow. So, I used a bluey-purple for the complementary. I happened to have a sheer synthetic organza shot with the deep peach and bluey purple, so I have made a "shadow" of the dragon over the city.
And so, the Dragon Sentinel flies over the city in a routine surveillance round, protecting and keeping watch over those in his charge.

This slightly to the side photo shows the shadow better. It was taken before I did the edge stitching.

The piece is 6"x12".

8 comments:

Carole said...

Sandy, you are incredible!! Imagine being able to incorporate your dragon after all. It is so well done. So clever that sheer overlay... 'the shadow knows'.. did you ever have that program in GB [a long time ago].
Great job of a grid and keeping your series intact!
Carole

Joni said...

Sandy, I was wondering how you were going to incorporate your dragons series into this challenge, and you came through in "flying" colours! Very effective use of transparent fabric. Does your watchful dragon have a name? Your imagination never ceases to amaze me. Super Job!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Sandy, how incredible, this worked very well!

Jan said...

I love the colors and they alone remind me of a dragon. After all, they do breathe fire, right? Great execution of the design and the shadow of the dragon flying overhead seems foreboding to those in the city.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sandy, this is very interesting! If it were in dark gloomy colors, it could be seen as an abstract representation of 9-11. But the muted, cheery colors create a feeling of well being. Excellent use of the color yellow and yellow-orange, just the right amount throughout to add a glow but not take over.
Imaginative work...great job!
Cynthia

Sandy said...

Thanks!
The colours are a bit brighter in real person.
The dragon is the Sentinal. He watches over the city.
take care,
Sandy

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I find myself wanting to look up to see the dragon flying over...LOL Will you include this in one of your stories?
Cherie

Betty Warner said...

Sandy:
Wow! Love the background, love the shadow. Awesome piece.

Betty Warner