Friday, May 29, 2009

Leaving Town on a Greyhound



Challenge #33.
'Bus Stop' is finished. I sometimes wonder how these ideas enter my mind. On the weekend visiting with old friends, talking about how many of us 'got out of town' inspired this piece. Coming from small town Canada, I think many of us dream about the big city...it does not always turn out how we want and small town is where we return to find security, happiness and to be content.
Hopefully I've used neutral colors, the red dress is a red/black color, the only thing that didn't turn out as neutral as I had thought is the tree fabric. The mountains are a black purple color. This was a difficult challenge, I always think of neutrals as cream/tan/beige...so a whole new thought process for me. I did more machine stitching on this piece, just a bit of hand stitching on her dress.
Thanks for the challenge,Kathy it is a great one.

10 comments:

janice pd said...

I love this series, each one gets better than the next.The trees have a brown tone to them while the rest of the piece has gray tones. What would happen if you looked for a gray green instead?

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I like the depth that the 'tree' fabric creates, but yes a gray green might be good. I'll search through the stash.
Thanks for the feedback Janice.

janice pd said...

I like the depth the trees create, too. If you can't find a grayed piece for the tree, if you have a small piece of the trees, experiment with a gray overwash. Just a thought! I like the whole piece, Rhoda.

Wendy said...

Nice one... I immediately thought it could be a book cover... a book I'd want to read. The neutrals are a trick for sure.... nice job!

Joni said...

Rhoda,
You have really intrigued me with this piece.... I want to hear the story! Is she running away or seeking adventure? Your fabric choices work very well, and the depth shows well too, even without the quilting. Hope you do post this when you finish. Great job!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Joni, small town gal looking for something more exciting.

Carole said...

The wow! factor is in this one, for sure...
It looks great now, I surely am interested in seeing it completed.

I like the title " Bus Stop ".

janice pd said...

Rhoda she is great, love the fishnet stockings, the detail on the suitcase and the shading you added to the curb!

Carole said...

Rhoda, this is truly fabulous.
So, so well-done!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

She puts me in mind of Marilyn Monroe! You captured her feeling of anticipation so well with her pose. Well done!
Cherie