Sunday, May 17, 2009

The One That Got Away (I know I'm really late!)

My home guild does charity quilts all year long. We support a variety of shelters for displaced women and children, especially those who are homeless after domestic violence. The committee makes kits that we can pick up and complete. Easy peasy. I grabbed a kit last month and found that the focus fabric was this great underwater print with funky fishes and plants. I kept thinking this could be an aquarium!

So, doing double duty (FFC and a completed quilt for the guild), I started playing with attic windows... and lo and behold, the colors in the kit sort of fit this challenge! What got very interesting was the flow of the blue thru the quilt (I wish I could have photographed what I saw thru the Ruby Glass! It was very cool). And since I limited myself to the fabric in the kit and nothing from my stash, the borders looked a bit barren, so I cut out some of the motifs from the focus fabric and raw edge appliqued them into the border. Finished size about 40 x 54", machine quilted and bound. Comments of course, are welcome!

3 comments:

Jan said...

Lovely piece! Someone will be very happy to have this one. I like the bright colors and the fish in the border. If you weren't giving it away I'd suggest putting some seaweed growing up in the border and into the grid part to give it more depth and make the border seem less wide than it is.

Joni said...

Wendy,
What a cheerful quilt, it will certainly help to brighten someone's day. Excellent "grid" interpretation and an effective use of a dynamic feature fabric. I'm sure it will be treasured. I like the use of the fish in the borders, nice touch!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy, now that school is out, I hope you can get back to all your creative pursuits! This piece has your vibrant color sense showing, very nice. I like the flow of the blue/purple and how some of the fish have "escaped"
Cynthia