Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Kanji



My entry for this challenge is a basic triad color scheme, using teal, gold and red-purple. This is a very simple design, and is only 10”x12”, but it is fairly pleasing and I learned a great deal about playing with textures as well as using a triad palette. Starting with the back ground of cut-away appliqué, I found that the composition needed a focal point, so I added the Kanji. Some painted tyvek, and some fringe were added to generate a little texture and add more interest. Hopefully the letters are oriented correctly as not to offend our Asian friends. This was a quick and simple exercise, and was not intended to be a major piece, however it was a lot of fun to make. Thanks Cynthia for this challenge. As always comments are welcome.

7 comments:

Betty Warner said...

Joni:
I like your background very much. It is interesting and there is a lot of movement. Can not speak to the placement of your letters- have no idea of correct or not. The tyvek adds even more interest.
Good job.

Carole said...

Nice job! Some nice techniques used to create interest and texture. I do not know what KANJI is [will be googling that], but I really like the addition of it, IMHO it makes the piece.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, I love the fabrics you used...that's corn isn't it? Both that fabric and the Celtic knot fabric add so much visual texture. Very successful piece...exciting and calming at the same time. Great job!
Cynthia

Cherie in Del Mar said...

The colors are so rich Joni...do you know the meaning of the Kanji symbols? I love the graceful flow of the fabrics
Cherie

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Joni, I love it! Great color scheme and it worked so well with the patterned fabric.Lot's of texture going on.
I like purple so appreciate your use of it here. Great job!

Monty Wilson said...

So graceful! I really like the addition of the purple and white elements. Sooooo interesting!

Joni said...

Thank you all for your comments. I am still researching what the Kanji says. I'm hoping that my son (who studied Chinese) will be able to tell me. I have determined that I at least have it shown right side up. Kanji is an oriental form of writing.