Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Succulent V by Linda Cline

My fabric has been luring me to get back to some creative quilting. I wondered if I could do succulents in neutral colors without them looking dead. Cynthia did a wonderful landscape in blue tinted grays which made it look like it was drenched in moonlight, so I thought maybe a blue tinted gray would work for me as well.

This piece started with a bluish gray which now seems nearly achromatic. I added a bit of yellow to the final painted highlights to add a bit of warmth to it. I think I missed the "accent color" part of the challenge. I prefer the brightly colored succulents.

9 comments:

Joni said...

Linda,
This piece is wonderful, I love the way you brought out the contours with your quilting, and the highlights you added really give depth to the piece. Your whole succulent series has been very inspiring and enjoyable! Fantastic work!

Carole said...

Linda, so good to see you in your 'creative' form.. and I think this piece is amazing. It is so real looking... were you doing Lamb's Ears? that is what it looks like to me. that silvery, dusty pale green..wow!!Isn't some of the yellow the accent?
I just love this one [all of them!]
the best.
So glad you could do this!

Linda Cline said...

No, not lambs ears. It's based on the succulent photo which I used for the first of my series, show here:
http://lindasartjournal.blogspot.com/2008/10/beginning-of-succulent-series.html I think it is an aeonium.

Wendy said...

I so love your quilting... it brings it all to life!
Great job!

janice pd said...

So glad you finished this challenge Linda. Another wonderful piece from this series.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Linda, it's gorgeous and full of depth and texture. It reads neutral to me...like the silvery plants Carole mentioned. I think this will be lovely and unexpected in your series of more colorful succulents. You can see and appreciate the quilting textures and shadowing rather than the color.
great job!
Cynthia

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Wow Linda...as much as I love your more colorful succulents, This one is my favorite! It's really lovely, and as usual, your quilting is superb!
Cherie

Unknown said...

I like this a lot Linda, there is so much depth in it, looks almost 3D to me, I thought the yellow was the accent color :-) and the quilting is terrific

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I love your succulents, Linda. You do a great job with color choice and quilting.
Kathy