Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chair With a View


Been a while since I posted one of my pieces to the blog, just haven't been getting them done in time. Even this one is late, but at least the new challenge isn't out yet. For my colors I choose red, blue and yellow. The blue in the image isn't as bright as it is in real life, but I didn't want to play with the photo so.... The texture is the buttons I used for the "painting". I had fun picking them out and sewing them down. No particular order except I did want to try and balance the colors and sizes a bit. I have discovered it takes a lot of buttons to cover even a small area, and it weighs a lot. Still I used pearl cotton to sew them on with and with the frame fabric and the background fabric I have an additional 2 layers of fabric for a base so it should be ok. My theme for this quilt is structures, and I consider the chair in this quilt as my structure, I know pushing it a bit, but it is my theme and my quilt so Size is 9.5 x 13 inches so smaller then I have been working but not quite journal quilt size.

Kathy Walker
http://katwalkdesigns.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Very bright and cheerful Kathy. The texture of the bottoms is very neat, and I like the muted shades of blue.
Great job.

Linda Cline said...

Using the buttons like you did makes the "painting" a strong focal point, and brings it into the foreground.

The different values on the walls give dimension to the room. Did you consider using different values on the chair to give it more dimension also? Although I do like the chair just as it is.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Kathy, very cool little piece! Using the muted blue softens the pure red and yellow...good choice. The button painting is ingenious. Great job!
Cynthia

fastfriday said...

I did think about using more colors on the chair, but decided that I preferred the chair flattened which would happen if I didn't add any shading. I was thinking of Van Gogh's chair painting when I was doing this, though his chair has more detail.

Kathy

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

Very simple design that serves to accent the button picture. Makes me want to say" Why didn't ai think of that?" I actually love the whole concept.
Pat f in Winnipeg