Saturday, July 04, 2009

Colors of My Garden



18” x 20”


This uses the triad colors yellow-green, blue-violet, and red-orange. The four blocks in the center are paper pieced using my own design. There are 11 pieces of fabric in each block and the only one repeated is the blotchy violet in the center.


The quilting is not heavy. I wanted the designs to speak for themselves. The center is quilted with a vine and the outside is quilted around the flowers.


It is not completed. I had back surgery a little more than three weeks ago and have had all the sitting at the machine I can do for today. I will keep at the border quilting and then face the quilt.


I have enjoyed working on this. It is a happy quilt for me. I love the colors. I had thought they would be difficult to work with---but as I kept pulling out more fabrics I found that it wasn’t.


Thank you for this challenge!

5 comments:

Carole said...

This is a very playful piece and you did a good job with all those seams!! The quilting is very effective and I am so glad you were able to do this, what with back surgery just a mere three weeks ago.

Joni said...

Sally, your garden must look wonderful if these colors are any indication. Nice work on your paper piecing, and terrific textures in your choice of fabrics. Great interpretation of the challenge.

Wendy said...

Sally, this immediately stuck me as a reflective piece. The colors are vibrant and true.... I wonder what would happen if the lower half was more muted (covered with tulle or organza?) to give the illusion of a water reflection. Nice job....

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Sally...I feel like I'm looking through a kaleidoscope. I love the fractured feeling and the colors...well done
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sally, very pretty and vibrant and cheerful feeling!
Cynthia