Friday, July 03, 2009

Firewolf - Companion to the Dragon Lords

I started out trying to do orange, green and purple. But when I found this teal and magenta fabric, it turned to red-violet/blue-green/with a variety of the oranges.

Also, I saw the dragon in the fabric, but found out it wanted to be a wolf instead.
As I was working, I realised that it was a Firewolf. They are companions to the Dragon Lords, whose senses are not as keen when they are in their human form. They rely on their bonded Firewolf to sense those things they can not. The Firewolf is very nearly as dangerous as the Dragon, and sometimes are mistaken for juvenile dragons if encountered in the forest. (Well, you don't stay long to look when you catch a glimpse of one.)

I enjoyed thread painting the texture of the Firewolf's fur. I quilted the surrounding areas with flames. His ears are only attached at the base.

Of course the quilting shrunk the size. So, I attached the teal hairy thread and a multicoloured cord round the sides - made using some of the same threads as for the thread painting . (The cord was left from some made for my Dragoness Bernina Ensemble, as it happens!) The piece still is not quite 6x12, but near enough.

6 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I wouldn't want to meet up with this fellow in the woods! I am so looking forward to your dragon stories book...you ARE going to do one, right?
Cherie

Carole said...

This is so cool... He looks so real, I love all the stitching on it that you did. He is almost a 'glow-in-the-dark' Fox.
Well done!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Sandy, He is wonderful...very dragon like. What a great orange and the stitching is wonderful. I do believe you've met this challenge in a great way. Are you writing a book?

Joni said...

Sandy, I've never seen a firewolf before, but I'm sure they are very frightening. Those fiery eyes could turn you into stone! I love the way his ears lean forward anticipating the approach of a foe. Love the texture and the playful binding on this piece... yes I'm waiting for the book too.

Wendy said...

Sandy, I wonder what other mythological stories lie behind this fella.... Wolf is such a powerful totem! Very fun and scary piece!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sandy, good companion piece for your dragons! Hairy and intense!
Cynthia