Friday, July 31, 2009

Hawaiian Kaleidoscope by Cynthia Ann Morgan

Here's my piece for the Radial Symmetry challenge. I started with 2 Hawaiian applique blocks that I did ages ago before I lost interest in hand applique. I "deconstructed" them by inserting strips, slicing up, and adding fused applique parts. Then quilted it to death. Usually I plan out my design, but this one...not at all. So that spontaneity was very much fun! The result reminds me of looking into a Kaleidoscope. Comments and greetings welcome!

Cynthia
PS...this is what one of the blocks looked like before deconstruction ----->

7 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Wendy said...

Cynthia... recycling meets radial symmetry! Nice piece and very kaleidoscopic! I was hoping someone would pull a Hawaiian out! and you did.... As usual, your quilting and detail are fabulous! Do you have a pix of the original before you wacked it up?

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

WOW...this is a deconstruction that turned out marvelous!
And yes the quilting is great, love the colors, great piece of art!

Linda Cline said...

The sum is greater than the parts. It's beautiful, Cynthia.

Joni said...

Cynthia, this is wonderful. It is amazing that after you deconstructed and recycled, the piece still has an Hawaiian feel to it. Great interpretation of the challenge.

Carole said...

This is so different than what I was watching for Cynthia.... it is GREAT!! Again, you are an inspiration.
There is definitely new life in recycling!

janice pd said...

What a brave soul...and such great results. Hand applique is so much work but look how wonderful it looks with a contemporary twist to it.