Friday, July 31, 2009

La Mer/ Beyond the Sea


“La Mer/Beyond the Sea”

This quilt was inspired by Judy Dale’s Book Curves in Motion. Rather than make a round piece, I extended the wedges to form a square, so each wedge is a little different. Freezer paper templates were made for each element in the wedge, and then pieces were cut and fused to a background fabric. After all the wedges were joined, I top stitched the design, and then quilted the piece. Then the piece was trimmed to square up the edges. It reminds me of the ocean and the restless waves and Frank Sinatra’s song “La Mer” keeps flowing through my head. I might try this again where I mirror the design on every other wedge to make a kaleidoscope. Thank you Wendy for a terrific challenge. Comments are appreciated.

10 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wow, what a great piece for this challenge. love it!
My background is nearly the same colors as yours...but I'm quite a ways from being done.
You nailed the challenge,great job.

Linda Cline said...

The strong contrasting colors give this piece a lot of visual impact. You have nice variety in your sizes and shapes, and lots of movement.

Doing the same design mirrored would be interesting. I think it would be equally nice, but have a totally different look.

Monty Wilson said...

Wonderful! I love the blues, but noticed that if they were reds it would look like flames. I guess color does make a difference! Great piece!

Joni said...

Katie it would be fun to try a similar piece using fire colors, great idea!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, This is just beautiful! The tilted perspective is brilliant. And masterful use of value contrasts. Great job!
Cynthia

Wendy said...

Joni, I'm simply gobsmacked at this one! Have you ever googled for "blue holes" - those deep areas of the ocean that, due to their sharp drop offs, create a circle in the ocean. That's what I thought of first..... and I love that it seems to be tilted a bit away from the viewer.... gives it a sense of movement and perspective. Fabulous! Nuthin else to say....

Jan said...

This is great! I love the colors since blues are relaxing. I love the symmetrical radial design and the way you off centered the center where all your lines start and then cropped two sides. This really gives it a uniqueness. Love it!

Carole said...

Just Great!
All of the above.
%This is the WOW! in this challenge.
Well done!

janice pd said...

Wow!! Love the colors and movement you created.

Unknown said...

beautiful piece! Even though this is a lot of motion here, it conveys tranquility to me because of the colors you chose. I also am picturing all those little pieces being fused down :-)