Friday, July 31, 2009

Pink Coreopsis


I seem to have a new series - flowers - going now. This is taken from a photo that I took of a pink coreopsis growing in our garden. I used a machine reverse applique technique from Carol Miller's class at QuiltNebraska last weekend. I layered the green, the pink, batting, and a back, and drew the flower on the green fabric. Then I sewed on the drawn lines and cut out the flower shapes, leaving a raw-edge applique. Both the pink and the blue-green are hand-dyed fabrics. I added thread-painting and quilting, and beads for the center. Then I couched a double strand of fuzzy yard around the edges. The size is 11" x 11".

I like the technique - I'm not sure this was the best subject for it. As always, all critiques are appreciated.
One day later - I "uncentered" the flower, and I didn't have a bee, but I added a ladybug. Hope that makes it better.

10 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Katie, a bright lively piece. Certainly depicts the color of nature, very nice.

Wendy said...

Katie.... a flower is a perfect subject for radial symmetry.... now what would have happened if you had more than a single petal? I think that would add some depth. Another idea would be to crop this and reduce the negative space so its not just so out there.... I think you've got a great start on an exiting piece!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Katie, this is very striking with the gorgeous clors and fabrics. Would you consider cropping it? I think it would be more interesting if the flower were not dead center. I would take all but 1/2" off the left and bottom and maybe add a few bees buzzing on the right.

Nice work!
Cynthia

Monty Wilson said...

Cropping is an exellent idea. Maybe it will make it more interesting. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Thanks for the suggestions!

Joni said...

Katie, I really like the changes you made to this. Your eye travels around the piece now and enjoys the lively color you have used. Your hand-dyed fabrics are wonderful. Very cute lady bug too.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Katie, Well, the cropping turned out great...makes it look more unpredicable and artistic. I think the bug probably would be more effective if it were more contrasting in color and value. Just looking at the color/value contrasts of the whole piece...I see one center point of bright yellow. It could work to balance that with 2-3 other bright/light spots elsewhere on the piece, probably on the background rather than on the flower itself. Just a couple thoughts...what you have already done makes it more interesting.
Cynthia
PS I really like your quilting design on this piece...it uses echo quilting in a more interesting way!

Jan said...

Love the colors you've used, Katie. The light seems to be striking on one side of the flower and beyond as well. I agree to cropping somehow so it doesn't appear to be just dropped in the middle of a pond of water. Add some leaves maybe that go off the edge if you don't want to crop the flower any?

Monty Wilson said...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it's a little better now...I'll stop there and remember the lessons for next time. I appreciate the feedback very much!

Carole said...

Hey Katie.. this is so cool.. I love your reverse applique...very effective rendition of the Challenge.
And, yes, the cropping does make a difference.

janice pd said...

Very pretty Katie. I like the cropped version, too, and the colors are striking.