Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Snail Steps


I have been so busy this summer that I just knew I wouldn't have time to participate in the challenges for a few months. Then this challenge was posted and the very first night I dreamt about the quilt I wanted to make. I love traditional quilt blocks and "Snail's Trail" has always been one of my favorites. I decided to take the old classic and give it some modern curves with the result above which I am calling "Snail Steps". I enjoyed making this piece so much and love the way the colors flow. I really think I will have to spend some time in the studio working on my hand dyes so I can do a bed sized quilt using this pattern. The finished piece is 16" x 16".

13 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Very nice Kathy. I love your colors and the elegant, graceful swirl...good work.
Cherie

Linda Cline said...

The gradated colors add wonderful depth to this piece. It's beautiful.

Wendy said...

Stunning, Kathy, just stunning. Perfect color and blending.... you nailed it girl! Love the border treatment, I use that one a lot too.... just something extra!

Betty Warner said...

Kathy:
I echo the comments above. Love the border treatment, love the swirl, would not change a thing.

Great response to the challenge.

Betty Warner

Linda Mac said...

Kathy, I love this one. The colors are so pure. Makes me want to start dying fabric right away.

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Thanks to those who have left such wonderful comments! I don't know about others but I am always suprised to find that it is the challenges I stress least about that seem to turn out the best. I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere!

Joni said...

Kathy, This is beautiful! I love how this piece glows. Your use of the gradations is excellent, and your border really complements the center design. Great job!

Monty Wilson said...

Just beautiful! I love the gradations, and the swirls.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

This is wonderful, such fitting border fabric! The swirls are great, wonderful use of color. I would say you really understood this challenge.

Jan said...

Beautiful piece showing balanced radiation and gradation of colors. The border piece is well chosen, too seeming to stop the movement of the center piece.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Kathy, great job! Gorgeous analagous color scheme. It has a transparent floaty feeling to it that is very soothing.
Cynthia

Carole said...

Kathy, this is stunning....just a beautiful piece, great work!

janice pd said...

Well, I think everyone beat me to the punch again...wonderful, stunning, and all the other things said!