Thursday, July 30, 2009

Succulent VII & VIII

I got two 5 x 7 pieces out of this project instead of the one I was planning. I am looking for a good source for pre-cut double mats for framing.

Radial symmetry wasn't a stretch for me since my current series is succulents, and most of my current subject matter seems to have radial symmetry already.

I have shied away from succulents with lots of tiny leaves until now. But his round succulent seemed perfect for this month's challenge. I approached this one a bit differently. I started with an underpainting which I new would contrast well with the final image. And then I didn't do my usual heavy quilting inside each leaf, but just outline stitched each.

I have in progress photos of this piece on my blog http://lindasartjournal.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Wendy said...

I thought of you, Linda, when I prepped this challenge. I do love your succulents and knew this would be right up your alley!
I was hoping someone would go off center with this challenge and you've done it beautifully! Love the colors, love the succulents!
PS: I'll post mine on Saturday!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

A beautiful addition to your series Linda! I like these colors the best so far...so real looking!
Cherie

Joni said...

Wow Linda,
You keep those succulents coming, but each time you give us a new fresh look. I took a look at your blog, and it is interesting how you paint, then quilt, then paint again. I would never imagined all those colors beneath the finished product, but it does give the piece depth and a richness that would not be there otherwise. Wonderful work! How clever to use the cut-offs for atc's.

Betty Warner said...

Linda:
I really enjoy this piece. Cannot believe the variety of colors you have included. Definitely a radial composition. Well done!

Betty Warner

Monty Wilson said...

The three-dimensional effect is amazing. What nice pieces you made!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

The whole series of succulents has been wonderful. This is another great piece. I like that you just quilted around the petals, it gives it real depth.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Linda, wonderful effects on these 2 little gems...I especially like the glossy look you captured. Great job!
Cynthia

Carole said...

Linda, I thought of you instantly and I am so in love with your succulents. These are delightful!
I also so much enjoyed your 'how-to' on your blog. Thank you for that!

janice pd said...

So small and so lovely...wonderful.