Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Spinning Out of Control


I started this challenge right away, doing a couple of small sketches that I liked. I picked one and fussed with choosing fabric for it, couldn't come up with anything that worked, so dropped and switched to another sketch. Then I spent last Friday morning procrastinating by vacuuming, dusting and rearranging bookshelves! Finally that afternoon, I picked my fabric and got started. I was really liking the way it developed, so I took my time finishing the design and getting the quilting done. So no apologies for being late-this one just had its own schedule.

My series is what happened in my life in the month-and at first I thought of this as the fireworks for July 4th. Then it hit me that it was a perfect visualization of the health problem that hit in July (which seems to be on the mend fortunately). I set the main element off center-going off the side and top and called it "Spinning Out of Control".

Nancy Schlegel

8 comments:

Joni said...

Nancy, this is a very compelling piece. I thought at first that this was a hurricane, it almost feels as if it is actually spinning. I guess life can be a storm too! You certainly expressed your feelings well. I like that you were not too symmetrical with this, it gives it more "spin". The bead work in the center is a nice touch too.

Nancy Schlegel said...

The bead work came after I messed up the center area by stitching across it too many times. Had to hide the wrinkles and pleats! In the end, it was a happy accident-glad you liked it too.

Nancy

Wendy said...

Great piece, Nancy, lots of movement in the off center symmetry and I can sure see how it would relate to health challenges. Love the colors and the flow! Well cone!

Jan said...

I love your piece! Your colors are well chosen and like Joni said sort of resembles a hurricane moving away. Hopefully that's the way your rough July is moving right now?

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great piece, lot's of radial movement.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Nancy, I really like the color combination in your piece. Very effective value contrast, feeling of movement and depth. Wonderful piece!
Cynthia

Linda Mac said...

I too love the color combination. This piece is very appealing. It draws you in.

Unknown said...

I have to agree with everyone else, this color combo is one of my favorites :-) Lots of movement here and the mess up that prompted the beading was a good one!