Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Exploding Star


With a very full calendar this month, I only had a short time to devote to FFFC. I love the challenge, and all those wonderful Nebula Photos, but when looking through my stash to start my entry, this fabric that I had hand dyed got my attention. It seemed to say exploding star to me. Using Angelina fibers, I made a slurry of various colors and created a 8 x 10 mesh of fibers. From that I cut some strips and sewed them to my background. Next I used some set-a-color pens and drew some of the wispy lines, then used embroidery to complete my design. The quilting is intended to accent the flow of the piece. I’m not sure it looks very “starry”, but I love the colors and the sparkle. I’m pleased with its general appearance, but wish I had more time to make it special…. Maybe later. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

12 comments:

Pam Harris said...

Joni,
I think your quilt looks very "starry". The background even has a halo of an recent explosion, much like fireworks. The Angelina ribbons are interestingly placed with light on one side, dark the other to give more perspective and movement. I think the addition of the embroidery adds to the flow of the piece. Very Nice!!

Pam

fastfriday said...

Joni - I love your colors. They pull right in to the 'explosion'. The embroidery is a wonderful accent.
Pat Havey

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I can't even imagine what more you would do , more time or not Joni. It's absolutely beautiful! The lines are exquisitely graceful...I love it!
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, love your piece with it's graceful curves and whispy lines and just the right amount of sparkle. It's a gentle explosion, flower-like rather than a big bang fireworks. Beautiful!
Cynthia

Tobi said...

The blues are gorgeous, this is a lovely piece!

Wen said...

Great perspective and just enough contrast to provide depth. This piece is like a mantra.

Wen said...

Great perspective and just enough contrast to provide depth. This piece is like a mantra.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Joni - I don't know what more you have in mind for this piece. It truly seems perfect exactly as it is. The way you used the embroidery and swirled that angelina around has made a beautiful composition. I do believe that sometime less is more and this is a case in point. Congratulations on a lovely work.

LAQuilts said...

I'd say this is very special. Looks very organic. Love the colors. What was the finished size?

Joni said...

Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement. The finished size is 12" square as it may become a SAQA auction piece for next year.

Betty Warner said...

I look forward to seeing this in next year's SAQA auction. It is a beautiful piece and needs nothing else to make it speical. IMHO.

Donna said...

Very beautiful piece. I love the colors and sparkle. Very effective use of a focal point. Your quilting and flowing lines add a peaceful feeling to the piece. I like the way the Angelina fibers were cut to a specific shapes to become "ribbons of light".