Friday, September 04, 2009

Real Ghost


This is my "Cheater" Quilt made for the Journal Pages.
They were not private investigators or apprentice ghost-hunters, to be sure...Simply two gentlemen interested in...
The Supernatural.... These words printed on silk using computer..free form cut.. edges burnt with a sodering iron..misty fused to the quilt. I sketched my ghost and ghost hunters on a small tablet while traveling. For my ghost I tried several methods...paint netting..and lightweight iron-on interfacing (Transparency)and I chose the interfacing. The ghost was ironed down and outlined with glue and foil.The ghost and ghost hunters were free-form cut with sissors..a raw edge finish for the ghost hunters. The quilt is my original design.

I wanted to finish a quilt for this last challenge and hope to do better in the next round.

Janice Simpson

6 comments:

janice pd said...

Janice, I love this piece! I particularly like that your horizon line is suggested by the placement of the mansion. I also really like the transparency of the foiling on your ghost.

Carole said...

Hi Janice, I am not big on ghosts... but you did a good job, and I love your mansion.

Joni said...

Janice, this is fun. You are ready early for Halloween. I like the background you chose for this piece, gives an eerie feel, and you did an excellent job making a transparent ghost!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Janice, long time no see! Good to have you back with this fun-loving piece!
Cynthia

Sandy said...

What fun! It looks like you really enjoyed doing this. I think it is fun that it looks like the ghosthunters don't actually seem to be aware of the ghost! It makes me laugh!

I can tell you really worked to develop the idea of a transparent ghost. It is not an easy idea to depict. I think with the foiled outline, you have given even more of a luminosity than if it were just the transparent fabric.

I really like the haunted house. and I think the placement actually helps to give a variation of the horizontal layers...you have the edge of the hill the ghosthunters are on and the big ghost is rising up behind. but then there is a sunken horizon behind that where the mansion is located. then the ghost surrounding the mansion gives another layer and there are several implied layers in the background! Well done!

Actually the background is very good for adding to the spookiness.
this is a great little piece, I am glad you joined in!
Thanks,
Sandy

Betty Warner said...

This is fun. I like all of the things you did to create the illusions of the ghost and the implied horizon. Don't you love to use a soldering iron. Burning edges is very satisfying - both to do and to look at.