Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Through the Fog


Not exactly as I'd hoped it would turn out but a lesson learned anyhow. I live an hour from the nearest town where I could purchase any sheer fabrics so made do with what I had. I 'attempted' to show a city at night with fog creeping up from the water but the building lights and stars showing through it all. The background is a mottled grey and black while the buildings are all black. For the fog and reflecting city lights on the sky I used Angelina Fiber for the transparent look.I started to sew beads onto the windows and got tired of doing them so I opted to try Aleene's fabric glue which seems to be working. Not something I'll enter into any show anyhow. I'd also call this a low horizon if I look at the water meeting the buildings otherwise a high horizon if one looks at the top of the buildings meeting the sky.
This piece is about 8" x 13". I scanned it into the computer rather than photo it so it's not showing the entire width.

9 comments:

janice pd said...

Jan, this is very nice. I love the subtleness of the color from the angelina fibers. Very striking!

Betty Warner said...

I find this piece fascinating and mysterious. Also, the challenge of not having access to sheers caused you to try some other methods for achieving transparency. When I look at the larger image of this, I see a lot of texture that is very interesting. I do feel that I am looking at it while sitting in a boat off the shore.

Betty Warner

Carole said...

Jan, I absolutely LOVE this piece...
maybe not the 'transparent' per the Challenge, but it certainly has a transparent quality and I admire your ability to achieve this. I would have this piece in a heartbeat.

Linda Mac said...

By enlarging this piece (on pc) you can really see the beauty of it. I love your use of Angelina fibers. I find it hard to photograph the dark pieces, and you did a great job on this one.

Joni said...

Jan, this is wonderful! You really have set a mood in this piece, it was a dark and stormy night.... kind of makes me feel ready for a ghost story. This really is so much more interesting in the larger photo, your work on it is excellent! Great job!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan, Wow! I just love this piece...it's so dark and mysterious and just the right amount of glitz...gorgeous. You captured the transparent, creeping feel of fog wonderfully.
Great job
Cynthia

LAQuilts said...

The close up does this piece justice. The transparency is very well done. I like your beaded buildings and the stars very cool. I had done a pieced Seattle Sunrise with beaded windows so of course I'm bias. I like your stars and will use the gluing as good alternative to beading.

Wendy said...

Wow... deep mystery here. Reminds me of foggy moonless nights... it's very difficult to work black on black and you've pulled it off!

Sandy said...

Hi Jan,
This is a very atmospheric piece! I think the transparent effect of seeing something in the dark has been done very well.
In looking at the larger photo, it is hard to tell how bright the angelina is. I wonder if you would like it better if you laid organic shapes of black tulle fog over some of the angelina section to knock back the brightness in places.
I really think this piece would be well received in a show. As Wendy said, you have done black on black very well. Not many people are brave enough to attempt it!
well done,
Sandy