Friday, September 04, 2009

A Troubled Spirit


It took a while for me to get rolling on this challenge, since I usually do abstract work which doesn’t go hand in hand with a horizon line. When I jumped in I didn’t have any particular direction, but started with a piece of fabric I had rusted. I added lines with a permanent black pen to create the center portion of the piece. Color and shading was then applied with Berol pencils. Sewing two pieces of fabric together to create the “horizon line” came next, and then the rusted fabric was trimmed and set upon the background. To add the transparency, sheer silk fabric was used. There are two layers, attempting to look like dripping paint that come down from the top and partially cover the “heart”. This part of a poem by Longfellow kind of speaks to me of what this piece is saying.

I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist,
A
nd a feeling of sadness comes o'er me,
That my soul cannot resist:

A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
And resembles sorrow only
As the mist resembles the rain.

From Longfellow’s Poem The Day is Done

Comments and suggestions are always welcome, let me know what this piece is saying to you. I cropped this from the original and feel it works a little better.

8 comments:

janice pd said...

Joni, I love the central motif and the dripping from the top. I like the way you took the rusted fabric farther in the design with pencil and ink. Great job! This is just me, I find the hard lines of the gold braid distracting from the organic flow and feel of the rest of the piece.

Carole said...

This piece says to me ..sad, maybe even a broken heart.... a 'hole' left by some loss...
Not sure about the lines going through the lower portion. [Did you test it out in the photo program for cropping?]
Do the colors represent age and hurt?
You did ask what is is saying to me... and this is it..[maybe I have 'hurt' on the brain!]
Will you tell us?

Joni said...

Thanks Carole and Janice, I cropped the original to make the piece square, which I think helps a bit. Carole you are right about the color, age and hurt are topic going through my head right now, more for others than for myself.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joni, what I see is vulnerability...with all those organic parts hanging out there waiting to be poked with a stick. Some of the parts look damaged but there's healthy fresh parts under there. I think this is one of those pieces that the viewer can read into. Powerful and graphic piece...great job.
Cynthia

Wendy said...

Wow, I think this is my fav this month... I don't see a lot of hurt.... I see openness. Great job on the colors and rusting and overall effect.

Sandy said...

Hi Joni,
It is quite amazing how well you have been able to use the challenge restrictions and still create an abstract piece. Good on you for trying!

I think too, the moods you were going for do come across. Especially with the use of the reddish transparent drips. and the organic shape resonates with vulnerability.

I think the gold braid could be balanced a bit more with something similar in the upper left part of the "ground" in the area near the horizon line.

The "heart" in the centre gives a very strong focus which works well. you say you have cropped the original,what does it look like if the cropping is only on one side...in effect shifting the focus slightly. Do you think it would still work as well? just wondering. I think it is fine where it is.

Thanks for trying something different to the traditional!
Sandy

fastfriday said...

So many wonderful "textures". You weild a wicked Berol pencil!!! It says "vunerable" to me...gives the viewer a lot to think about.
janice in Houston

Betty Warner said...

To me it says open, yet wary, or vulnerable as others have said. This is a very intricate piece. What if the area that the gold braid is on were another fabric (or fabrics) instead of such a strong group of lines? Or perhaps one of the gold braid lines could go up on the left side of the lower portion. (Or perhaps it's just fine the way it is.) Good job! Lots of interesting detail.
I think the challenge has certainly been met.