Thursday, October 22, 2009

Blast Off

Challenge 37 finally fully finished. I spent days looking at marvelous photos from the Hubble Telescope. However, as much as I was in awe of the photos, nothing spoke to me. Finally I hit upon this theme = going into outer space.
I wanted to use dyes, but my past experience had been just applying the dyes on a piece of cloth laying on a table. It didn't work as I had envisioned. Lots of flow across the table; very little control. Therefore, my first step was to make an adjustable frame on which to secure my fabric. I recycled wood from some old shelf frames I had used when I lived in apartments and moved a lot. I used a textile maker in gray as I only wanted a little bit to show threw the 'dust from the blast off'. Then I applied dyes. It took several layers of dye to get what I wanted. Then I began with the paints. I ironed between layers to preserve what I had already done. Previously, I had skipped this step. Not happy when the colors moved. I learned from that mistake. Although my quilting is far from perfect, it is the best I've done so far. Horay! I'm improving.

Blast Off 17" x 37 1\2"

Detail 1 darkened to show the quilting.

Detail 2 darkened to show the quilting.

3 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Ann
Your blast off is terrific! The dyeing/painting is so realistic, and you've done a beautiful job with the quilting...well done
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Ann...very cool piece...love the sky and water coloring and your dense quilting is fabulous. The dark reeds at the bottom add lots of contrast and interest. Good job!
Cynthia

Kathy Angel Lee said...

Wonderful painting and the quilting is fabulous! I love the movement int he water and sky.