Sunday, October 04, 2009

Challenge #37 - Blue Moon by Candy Farmer


Close to home and closer to heart, the moon has inspired the folklore and poetry of the ancients and helped us mark the passing of time and season. The full moon is especially potent and magical and speaks of the feminine.

The features of this moon were free cut from a remnant of polyester chiffon in hombre blues and applied to the surface with a single strand of silk sewing thread to keep it floaty and something of a suggestion. The background, or
black-ground, is cotton velveteen with black paisley jacquard applique. I used a polyester bat for loft and to add dimension to the moon. Everything was hand stitched.

This is my first larger-size piece, 16.5"x 21.5" approximate, and I would really like your feed back. Thanks, everyone.

8 comments:

Nina Marie said...

I really love the "blackground" of this piece. The subtle changes in it, along with the nice contrast to your focal point are really pleasing! Plus I think its cool that you hand stitched everything! Nice job.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Candy - I really like your moon - the use of the chiffon was quite effective. This is another piece that, in my opinion, might benefit from some cropping. The empty black space seems to make the moon less significant. Again, this is just how I see it. Keep up the good work - you are off to a great start!

LAQuilts said...

I love the moon spots - I bet this is really great up close and personal I can barely make out the different background - looks intriguing.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Candy, The glow on the bottom half of the moon is fabulous and such a dramatic contrast with the deep black background. I usually would suggest cropping it, but I actually like all the vast space...especially because it's interesting black space with the applique.
Great job!
Cynthia

Pam Harris said...

Interesting background which sets off the moon nicely. Great moon--looks like what we normally see on clear nights. Welcome to the group.

I wouldn't crop it as I like the moon being the focal point. Lots of movement both in the moon and background.
Pam

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Candy...
I really like the hand stitching on your moon. I also love the deep black space feel of your background. Perhaps some quilting in the background might add some dimension and texture?
Cherie

Kathy Angel Lee said...

Once in a blue moon - how nice. I like the effect of the chiffon pieces on the moon - it really helps the shading that you do see on the moon.

janice pd said...

Nice moon craters you created. I also like the interest you created in the black spaces.