Saturday, October 03, 2009

Leaving Home



24½” x 16¼”, Satin, Polyester, Angelina fiber, beads

Update 10/13/09: I had comments that I should add some flame to the rocket, both in comments and from my husband, so I did. The new picture also has the border sewn on to the foam core so it's somewhat trimmer.
-----------

There are only two fabrics that I used in this piece. The black satin shouted to me for the background, and the polyester piece, scraps from a blouse I just finished, had even the basic shapes which I only smoothed out. The rocket shape came from one of the copyright-free photos, and I used metallic foils for it. Then Angelina, with paper foil stars embedded in it, an experiment that only partially worked, because if the Angelina is thick enough, the stars don't show up, and if it's thin, they aren't held in very well. I added beads in part to help hold the Angelina on.

The earth came from another photo from the NASA pictures, and printed on photo transfer paper. It was when I put that in that the title became obvious.

I quilted the piece lightly with metallic thread. It is mounted on foam core, and I still need to sew down the edges and will probably stitch around the rocket, at least, to hold it down more smoothly. Comments welcome as always!

6 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Tobi
As usual, I Love this one! The only thing I might suggest is what if you added a few hot streaks of flame blasting from the rocket, as in blast off? Well done
Cherie

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Tobi, this is really cool! with outer space-like special effects, too! My favorite part is the blue bubbles and of course, the shape of the piece.
Great job
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Tobi - Another piece with an interesting shape - you've done it again! The planet is so realistic looking and then the ship takes off to the surrealistic outer space. Well done.

Nina Marie said...

I just love how creative this piece is. I find the use of the Angelina interesting and love the effect of it. The crop of earth on the bottom is perfect, as well as the irregular shape of the finish piece. As a what if - you took the focal point of the rocket and moved it off center - using a bit of accent color to draw your eye up to it?

Pam Harris said...

Nice piece. I, too, would like to see "flames" out of the rocket. Lots of great texture and good proportion. I like the shape.

Pam

janice pd said...

Very nice Tobi. I love that your piece is rocket shaped. It all works for me!