Monday, October 19, 2009

Our Galaxy


This is my first Fast Friday challenge and creation. I used a photo from the Herschel telescope as my inspiration. The photo has an "open copyright". It can be seen at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8284650.stm. I was attracted by the layering and luminoscity and wanted to try using Lutrador which is new-to-me.


I used black Kona cotton, which was painted with a mix of Stewart Gill, Jacquard and Setacolor paints (I rapidly learnt that Setacolor transparent does not show up at all on black without being mixed with white.) I had black heavier weight and white very light weight Lutrador to work with. I painted the Lutrador with Mettallic Jacquard and Steward Gill paints, and then used both a textile tool and an embossing heat gun to melt the Lutrador to make it look "airier." I quilted the background with monofilament and metallics, and tried facing it (the first time I have done a facing) before stitching on the Lutrador. I wanted a slightly 3D look. I know I need a lesson on how to do facings. If you have any comments or suggestions I am open to them. I mainly did this to try the materials and to see if I can work fast. I found I still thought about the project for almost 3 weeks before getting down to it---something I need to change, which is why I joined the challenge

4 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Susan
This is wonderful! I really love what you've done with the lutrador...it looks so delicate and lacy. You certainly achieved a 3-D affect! Nice work. I look forward to seeing more of it.
Cherie

janice pd said...

Really nice texture on this piece. I'm glad you put a link to the original photo cuz I didn't understand using a rectangular shape. I think you hit this on the nose! Can't wait to see more in the coming challenges.

California Fiber artist and composer said...

Thank you both for your kind words. I won't be able to tackle the next one until after Nov 4....but that is OK. Susan

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Susan, interesting textures and sheen to your piece. The touches of turquoise and pink liven up the neutrals. Glad you're here and I look forward to seeing more of your work
Cynthia