Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Elephants and Lions...Do You See A Zebra?



Elephants and Lions...Do You see a Zebra?I did reverse applique on the beige Lions and the grey Elephants...and cut the scraps into 2 1/2 inch squares sewed blocks 5x5 squares and cut the squares into circles...also cut circles in background using Cheryl Philips Cut Around tool sewing the patch circles into the background.

I finished the top on time....my hang up was what to bind with and how should I quilt this...I put it altogether and did my old stand by serpentine stitches vertical and horizontal...(use this a lot).We then went out of town for a few days and I finished the binding in the car....

5 comments:

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Janice - This is a neat idea - cutting the focus fabric into squares and adding an abstract feel along with the more realistic animals. I think it turned out very well.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Janice, I like this piece with it's neutral colored animals against the colorful background. It's unusual and interesting in the layout which draws the viewer in....and there's a game involved in finding the zebra. Very clever!
Good job!
Cynthia

fastfriday said...

What an unusual piece! I really like how it almost gives the appearance of puzzles. Very clever, and I too like the bright background vs. the neutral animals. Gail M

janice pd said...

I like the way you mixed the two fabrics. Your quilting is similar to Susan Shie's wonky grid quilting. It's a quick way to contain the layers without detracting from the composition.

Wen said...

Quilt zebras to carry your theme of hidden animals. Cool idea!