Monday, November 30, 2009

Challenge 39, Grass



"Grass" is 9 1/2" x 11".
This piece shows my favorite grasses, Blue grama and Indian ricegrass, with their natural growth patterns, and various views of the florets and seeds, as well as a microscopic view of the grass remains in the soil (opal phytoliths).

The white PFD fabric was colored by laying strips of red, yellow, and green bleeding tissue paper down and rolling the fabric up and wetting it. I left it wet overnight to absorb the colors.

The images were photo transferred and then quilted.  Touches of ink (instead of paint, as I had the right color) were applied here and there for emphasis.  A close up of the microscopic view will be posted to the Yahoo site.


The opal phytolith images were taken through a microscope at 100 power (part of my Master’s thesis many years ago).  I am glad to make use of that research again after all these years.  I will add additional quilting in the background later (after the Christmas rush).  I always look forward to your comments and critique.  Linda Mac in WY

10 comments:

FoulkeArt said...

This is a wonderful piece. The composition is very effective, and the different scales really lend interest. Beautiful work!!

Marilyn

Carole said...

This is great Linda! I really like how the tissue paper colors are so 'just right' and the 'stages' of the life of these grasses is effective.

Betty Warner said...

Linda - A wonderful piece. I love the use of the 'bleeding tissue' paper coloring of the white PFD. What a great effect. Your stitching is wonderful. Well done!

Joni said...

Linda, Your background is great, makes me want to try that process. It is also wonderful that this challenge fit you like a glove, giving you the opportunity to relive your studies and display for findings in an artful way. I have to ask, is there more to this piece? I see a hint of perhaps other panels next to the edges. Do post again when you catch up with the quilting.

Linda Mac said...

Thank you for your comments.
I have not yet trim up the edges and added the facing, so that is why there is color peeking through on the edges. I appliqued woodgrain strips to set off the sections. A work in progress.
Linda Mac

Cherie in Del Mar said...

The collage design of this one is so very interesting and effective. What a great idea! I only tried the tissue paper technique once, and sure didn't get anything as pretty as yours...LOL Cherie

fastfriday said...

I love your compodsition using the stages of the plant. What a wondrful and interesting idea.

Pat Havey

Betty Donahue said...

I would love to have this on my wall.
Betty

LAQuilts said...

Very quilt like - the composition - I like the different views. The only thing I would have done different is change the scale of the border squares so they aren't symmetric.

Graceful Spirit Fiber Arts said...

I like the window pain effect that is create dwith the blocks. nice colors on the background.
Rita