Thursday, November 19, 2009

Juvenile Sandhill Crane




I have just joined this group, and want to show my juvenile sandhill crane, based on a photo a friend sent me from Florida...
Here is the photo, outlined to help make my pattern.
I have been doing fused "feathered friends" for several years now. It is a great project for fabric play, and a wonderful way to use scraps in a creative way.
Every feather is applied individually, and they are only attached at the base, so the feathers fluff out and add dimension to the piece.
I loved the way this bird was just striding along, and it seemed like he needed a pair of flip-flops. It is Florida, after all.
The fishin' pole is a piece of bamboo, tucked under his wing.
The piece is about 14" x 21"
I am really happy to be in this group. I love challenges, and really enjoy seeing what everyone else creates.
Marilyn Foulke
marilynfoulke@gmail.com








8 comments:

Sandy said...

How cool is this! I love it. Very witty!

I know accurate workings of birds and animals can be stunning, but hard to find the "uniqueness" for it. But if you take an acurate representation and turn it into something witty, it becomes eyecatching and unusual.

I like the way you did the feathers, too. Much more interesting than being flat.
Sandy in the UK

Gerrie said...

Love this - especially the feathers.

Unknown said...

I had to laugh, I didn't expect the fishing pole and other accouterments!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Marilyn, very fun and whimsical..good job! The comment I have is about the background fabric behind the feet....I think they would show up better if that piece of the background was not the same value as the legs.
Nicely constructed, too
I look forward to seeing lots more of your work!
Cynthia

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Marilyn - What a charmer! Your feather technique adds a nice dimension to the piece. Your whimsical touches are lots of fun. Glad to have you on Fast Friday.

janice pd said...

Nice texture, did you disable the link? I always like to see more detail with the right click. I lived in Florida and saw many sandhills walking to the lake...who knew they were headed fishing!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

fabulous work. love your feather treatment and humorous approach. looking forward to seeing more of your work.

FoulkeArt said...

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I agree that the one section of background makes it hard for the legs to show up, just one of those things!

And I'm not sure why the photos aren't "clickable" to enlarge. At least the feather photo will enlarge!

Thanks again.

Marilyn