Thursday, December 03, 2009

Onion Cells





The was a really great challenge. When I saw the theme I immediately thought of high school biology class where an onion was one of the first things we learned to examine under the microscope. The background is a hand dyed fabric I made several years ago and was just waiting for the perfect project. After stitching tulle around the free-form cell shapes, I added the black portion. It is a fabric paint made by Tulip that puffs slightly and changes texture when heated. The green onions are layered and fused, then highlighted with watercolor pencils and Pigma pens. The edgres are uneven and jagged, just as a specimen would appear under the microscope. Any and all critiques are always welcome.

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Great piece, Ann. I love the complex simplicity of onions... super contrast and I love the background.

Joni said...

Hi Ann,
Love the complimentary colors in this piece. The dark griding in the background really works to show off the onions. Glad you enjoyed the challenge.

Linda Mac said...

I love the colors and the process you describe. Very original.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Another great 'Veggie' piece Ann. Your onions look so real I swear I can smell them :-) How did you finish the edges? I love it!
Cherie

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

The edges are raw and just zig-zagged to close them. I am still thinking about going back and painting them with the same black paint as the interior.

fastfriday said...

Good use of tulle and puff paint. It gevs a wonderful ragged edge. Wish I'd thought of that -maybe net time. Beautiful piece

Pat Havey

Della said...

I like how you have shown the cellular structure in the background and the onions in the foreground to tell us what it is about. Well done.

Betty Donahue said...

Very striking.
Betty

LAQuilts said...

The colors are great - I like the micro shot as the background and the scallions in the foreground. I want this piece.

Betty Warner said...

I love this. Great color. The placement of the green onions is expecially interesting. They create both a fairly straight line across just above the mid-point as well as a curve which draws your eye around. Very interesting and well executed.

Carole said...

These colors are superb! green onions, who would have thought it!
Great job.

Graceful Spirit Fiber Arts said...

What a strong purple and to find the right use eventualy, reminds me of that box of extras I have on hand waiting for there moment in the sun to speak. Very lovely