Saturday, January 02, 2010

Carol Tackett Prize Pods





I used Duracell batteries. The challenge was very interesting. I could not settle on a product nor did I have any good magazines with ads. I was suffering from a case of vertigo so I spent three days in my chair watching TV....the ads were very interesting. Being aware of the messages sent by the color selections was a wonderful addition to my head. I did notice that food ads featured reds, greens and yellows; cleaning products use orange, yellow and navy blue, and toothpaste and mouthwash use the cooling minty greens and cool blues.



My quilt uses black and copper/orange with touches of blue and green which Duracell uses. The batteries that are just thrown away have a touch of blue and the rechargeable ones have a touch of green. This was fun and I welcome comments. I do think that my back ground got a little busy but by that time, it was too late to change.

6 comments:

Pam Harris said...

I really like the dimension and arrangement of your pods. Only suggestion, I would like to see more contrast between the vase and the patterned background/table runner. The way the background/table runner tapers off is very interesting. Solid black background is very effective.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Carol, I really like the orienation and viewpoint of the piece...like looking down a long table. The color combination is very effective, too. The pods and stems stand out beautifully from the background and give the piece dimension. How about painting some white/green stripes or plaid on the vase to distinguish it from the table cloth?
Great job Carol!
Cynthia

Carole said...

So glad you were able to get this piece here... I really like your color combination and the pods are great!
I agree with Cynthia re the vase... I am sure you will come up with something. Let us see it, please, if you do...

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Good job. You've done a great job of the still life and the colors. I agree with carole and Cynthia...a little something to make the vase stand out more might be interesting.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Carol - I like the color combinations from the DuraCell batteries. It is apparent that the marketing isn't aimed at kids! I copied your picture into Photoshop Elements and cropped almost over to the vase on the left side and lightened the vase a bit. It made a good piece better, in my opinion. I'm glad you felt good enough to do this after dealing with vertigo.

Joni said...

Nice job Carol, your black background really makes your subject matter stand out. It is interesting that you used the teal color for the stems, as that is the color that copper turns to after it has aged. (copper topped batteries?). It would be nice to have more definition for the vase. Very pleasing composition.